Medevac Crash In Prince George's County Claims 4 Lives

JJR512

Medevac Crash In Prince George's County Claims 4 Lives

Helicopter Was Transporting Patients From Accident Scene

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Md. -- A medevac helicopter taking accident victims to a trauma center crashed in suburban Washington early Sunday, killing four of the five people aboard, authorities said.

The accident killed two police officers on board the Maryland State Police craft, one of them the pilot. Also killed were an Emergency Medical Services staffer and one of the accident victims, said Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department.

A second accident victim survived the crash, which happened near Andrews AFB.

The helicopter was sent to the scene of a traffic accident in the Waldorf area about 11 p.m. Saturday and picked up two patients and a rescue squad member to take to Prince George's Hospital Center, according to a press release from the Maryland State Police.

As it returned to its base, the helicopter disappeared from radar and officials lost radio contact with the craft, known as Trooper 2. The crew had radioed in that it needed to land due to weather conditions, according to the release. After an intensive search, public safety officials found the downed helicopter on a trail in a wooded area of Walker Mill Regional Park in Forestville.

A recent state legislative audit revealed that about a third of the medevac helicopters were out of service for 51 days during the past fiscal year. The audit also faulted the police agency for failing to document maintenance needs and costs and failing to comply with federal and manufacturer repair orders. Nine of the choppers are more than 18 years old. But state police have defended the unit. And the General Assembly's Office of Legislative Audits also noted that the operation is highly regarded and has an "impeccable" safety record. State lawmakers are likely to face major budget cuts in the coming months that could threaten a three-year plan to replace the helicopters.

The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating.
http://www.wbaltv.com/news/17575140...bal_break&ts=T&tmi=bal_break_1_06010209282008

car_helo_2.jpg

Trooper 2 with an MSP patrol unit (http://www.mspaviation.org/frames.asp)

Dave

Seems to be a rash of those types of accidents lately. Just a few weeks ago, a charter plane carrying a cancer patient and his wife from New York to Boston for treatment crashed in a mall parking lot.
IIRC there was a helicopter crash just a week or so before that.

Inkara1

Did you know any of them? Doesn't make it any better if you don't, but with your line of work, I was wondering if you did know any of them.

JJR512

Did you know any of them? Doesn't make it any better if you don't, but with your line of work, I was wondering if you did know any of them.

There are only about two dozen MSP Flight Paramedics. In the course of my work, I've met two of them. I have not yet found out the names of any of the victims, but I doubt that the one who died in this accident would be either of the two I've met, since this helicopter was based at Andrews. Andrews Air Force Base is on the Southeast side of Washington, DC (at about the 5-o'clock position on DC's Capital Beltway).