Merry Christmas!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, thats what the phrase was this time of the year. It was to commemorate the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Whether or not this was the day was unimportant, as the holiday was taken to mean Peace on Earth and Goodwill to Men. Nobody was offended because everybody knew that this was not meant to exclude anyone but, rather, to try to bring a little joy into someones day. If a person was Jewish, and returned with the phrase Happy Chanukuh, this was also understood to be a friendly gesture. Then came the marketing genius who decided that not enough money was being made, so why not mix the Jewish holiday with the Christian holiday. They both occured around the same time, so the phrase Happy Holidays was created, and folks were a little bothered, but Merry Christmas was still acceptable. Now, that phrase can evoke anger. The meaning of it all has been tossed aside because somebody might be offended because they feel excluded. Bad thing is that the very people who might feel excluded don't really care one way or the other, and its the secular people who cause the most grief over a phrase that once meant "Peace on Earth and Good Will to Men".

Anyway...To all of my Jewish friends...Happy Chanukuh!
To all of my Christian friends...Merry Christmas!
To everyone else...Happy Holidays!

JTP

Happy Holidaze to everyone! Best wishes and good cheer, no matter what Invisible Man or Woman you pray to. We evolutionists are celebrating with homemade wine and blueberry pie! I have never been offended when anyone wishes me well, no matter what the religious context. Seriously, religion is a good thing for a lot of people, they need it, so they will have it. No skin off my nose, and none of my business. I still think these mega-churches ought to pay their fair share of taxes, though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The time of the year can be considered Happy Holidays (say, isn't that short for Holy Days?)

However, given the specific date,

Merry Christmas to everyone.

JTP

Used to date a Jewish gal- she called them the "High Holy Days"
She was a damned good egg- died in a car wreck.
I ain't Jewish, but I light a candle in her memory every Hanukah.
Don't believe in Jesus, either, but never offended when someone says "Merry Christmas"
Wouldn't be offended if someone said "Salaam", or "Live Long and Prosper"
It's all the same.

JTP

Here's an old Irish toast:
"May your house always be too small...
- to hold all your friends".

MrBishop

Nice toast, JTP!

Merry Christmas, Gato!
Merry Christmas, Hannukah, Eid Mubarrak, Kwanzaa, Yule to all.