Messenger Popup ads

Anon_me

Is there a way to stop the MSN messenger pop up ads from happening? Will un-installing the program work? They're really annoying me. Thanks :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Will un-installing the program work?
No, because Bill doesn't want you to uninstall anything from Windows. Once it goes on there, you can't get it off. :crying3:

Actually, it depends on which messenger you're talking about. The messenger you open windows and have conversations with people is what you can't uninstall. The messenger that modern spammers are using to spam can be disabled through the control panel. Go to administrative tools, then open services. Scroll down to Messenger and right click it, and select Properties. Change the Startup Type box to Disabled.

go to run, type services.msc and disable this:

Attachment(s):

mess.jpg, 148.44kb

4_1038469351.jpg

PostCode

Major contributor!
Very annoying service actually. They're stating to blanket spam blocks of IP addresses. Got on out of the blue myself right after my boss got one. Being behind a firewall I never got one, once I went through a modem one time, I got hit almost as soon as I connected. Disabled that annoying little POS service right after that.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i posted a thread about the services under win2k and winxp
http://www.otcentral.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4550

B

Bubba

noone tells MS how to design their software

Bubba trying to mispell ever word in dictonary, started with teh in another post.:)

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
if you don't want to install the latest version of MSN, ie. MSN 5.0 (which officially sucks big time...) and don't want to receive the question whether you want to install the latest version, do this:

run regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService\Policies -> make a new entry (DWord) called DisableUpdates and give it the value "1"

and voila :yell:

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Yep, I think they should be able to prosecute companies for blanket spamming IP blocks using the messenger service. As soon as my mom first connected her cablemodem, she received a pop-up add. Bastards.

I think spamming should be illegal. I think selling phone advertising lists should be illegal. I like junk mail though... every now and then they send me like a free timex sports watch or something. :) :D