Mexican

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
There's a Mexican restaurant downtown here, apparently a real one with real Mexican food, not dumbed down Mexican food.

It looks like we're going Saturday. I have no idea (other than from Taco Bell and El Paso boxes) what to expect or go for. What's good?
What's not uber-spicy?
What is a MUST try?

Luis?

Inkara1

Asada (steak they put into tacos, burritos, etc.) is usually a favorite of mine. I've been rumored to be able to eat my weight in tacos... but real Mexican tacos, with the two small corn tortillas, are ultra-tiny and still cost like $2.49 each.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
There's so much to recommend.

If they have real tacos al pastor by all means get those :D (they aren't strictly typical but they are damn tasty)

If you want something more typical, you could ask for one of these:
- enchiladas
- corundas
- tamales
- sopes con chorizo
- gorditas
- nopales
- mole poblano
- pozole

The list could go on forever. To drink, I'd recommend horchata, jamaica or tamarindo water.

Luis G

Staff member
If you like tamales, may I recommend that you try corundas and/or huchepos. Kinda the same, but different flavour.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Luis G said:
If you like tamales, may I recommend that you try corundas and/or huchepos. Kinda the same, but different flavour.

I will see if they have them, while it is an authentic mexican restaurant, it is in Canada, lol. And I don't know what region of mexico is represented at that restaurant.

Luis G

Staff member
Well yeah, it would be a big surprise if you could get uchepos and corundas. Good ones are hard to find outside Michoacan, let alone outside of Mexico.

Ohh and I forgot carnitas *yummy* :D

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Luis G said:
Well yeah, it would be a big surprise if you could get uchepos and corundas. Good ones are hard to find outside Michoacan, let alone outside of Mexico.

Ohh and I forgot carnitas *yummy* :D

I got a feeling it is gonna be an enchilada tamale burrito type of place. Though if they have Puerco Pibil I will have to get that, and if it is REALLY REALLY good......

(arcane movie refernce, karma for who gets it first)

tonksy

Leslie - If you are still a vegetarian (you are, right?), I would recommend you try the chili relleno. It's a poblano pepper that has been stuffed with cheese and rolled in bread crumbs and fried. The pepper is not a very spicy pepper. It's a favorite dish of mine.
Also, A lot of places offer a veggie quesadilla or taco - lots of onions, avocado, and possibly some black beans if you are lucky.
Enjoy!

Inkara1

Not yet... waiting for that special occasion, like, say, when I'm cooking for more than just myself. I'll have that lasagna, my regular lasagna, and my burned-butter spaghetti recipe.

chcr

Too cute for words
tonksy said:
Leslie - If you are still a vegetarian (you are, right?), I would recommend you try the chili relleno. It's a poblano pepper that has been stuffed with cheese and rolled in bread crumbs and fried. The pepper is not a very spicy pepper. It's a favorite dish of mine.
Also, A lot of places offer a veggie quesadilla or taco - lots of onions, avocado, and possibly some black beans if you are lucky.
Enjoy!
You forgot green chiles. Also not a very spicy chile but a very tasty one.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Luis G said:
There's so much to recommend.

If they have real tacos al pastor by all means get those :D (they aren't strictly typical but they are damn tasty)

If you want something more typical, you could ask for one of these:
- enchiladas
- corundas
- tamales
- sopes con chorizo
- gorditas
- nopales
- mole poblano
- pozole

The list could go on forever. To drink, I'd recommend horchata, jamaica or tamarindo water.
Man, it was GOOD! We are so going back when the kids go away again.

They had most of what you mentioned on the menu, I really wanted to try the pozole but I think I'll wait for winter. It was the most expensive thing on the menu too, and they only offer it on weekends. I guess it takes a lot to make?

I would up with something called Enfrijaladas (sp?) - tortillas with cheese covered in a bean sauce. MMMMM that rocked. Paul will have to say what his was but it was yummy too.

Before the food they brought chips with homemade salsa. I had 3 bites and my eyes watered and I couldn't breathe - that's why I went with such a mild meal. :D

Luis G

Staff member
Pozole is really good, wether it is white, green or red. I like it with lots of lemon and onion. Red pozole has meat, but it is a bit too spicy for me, so I prefer white or green (has chicken).

kuulani

i love mexican food, the version i eat is probably american-mexican, but we have a local restaurant here owned by a man born and raised in mexico, so it must not be that bad :D

at least i know i'll like the food during my mexico trip next month :D