More beauty of soccer

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Went to a riot and a soccer game broke out

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP)—A stadium brawl at a soccer rivalry game left about 80 people wounded in the Colombian city of Cali late Saturday, 18 of them with stab wounds, emergency officials said.

Clashes broke out among America de Cali’s “Red Baron” fan club in the 82nd minute of the match with Deportivo de Cali and spread onto the field and around the Pascual Guerrero stadium.

Police fired tear gas as the brawlers lit firecrackers and tried to tear down fencing separating the stands from the field.

Eighteen people were stabbed during the melee, said Manuel Infante, spokesman for Cali’s Emergency Prevention Committee. They were treated at the stadium and taken to a local hospital. Another 60 suffered bruises and other minor injuries.

A young pregnant woman and three police officers were among the wounded, the Red Cross said.

Tensions flared over referee Wilman Roldan’s decision not to call a penalty kick against Cali. America protested the no-call, players traded blows on the field and America coach Diego Edison Umana got into the fray, elbowing his Cali counterpart Daniel Carreno.

Somebody 'splain to me why we shuttle our children off to play this game again. Hell, it's safer in the crowd at a cockfight than it is at a soccer game.

Give 'em gloves and bats and baseballs again and stop this madness before it takes over here too.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Maybe because race isn't important to me?

I fail to see the excitement in soccer. Then, I also fail to see the attraction of Who Wants To Be An Apprentice Surviving A Great Race With Your Big Brother The Bachelor Whose Biggest Loser Was An American Idol too.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Well, apparently it gives people such passion that they make riots. I was just being sort of sarcastic on my previous post.

I don't particularly like any sport.

Inkara1

Thing is, a lot of soccer gets played in the US and I never seem to hear about deadly riots.