More newbie questions and a little followup

Anon_me

hehe...if anyone remembers, I was having problems with my BIOS and I think it's finally fixed; I send it to a computer place and they flashed my BIOS from 1002 to 1005 (whatever that means :rolleyes: ) Now on to the questions:

1) Do I have to do this thing with the BIOS everytime I re-install Windows?
2) Do I need a boot disk for Windows XP when I want to format my hardrive and reinstall?

And that's it for now. Thanks

1. No, a flash is written to the rom chip, which unless reflashed (or corrupted by overclocking mishaps or some malfunction) will not change.

2. Only if your computer cannot boot from the cd rom or the cd is not bootable

HeXp£Øi±

I hate bios flashing. Ok...i love it, but it's stressful.
The last time i tried to flash my primary machine i used the wrong one and my floppy drive went out after i had flashed it so i had to fix the drive with the machine on in order to copy the correct bios to the machine. Lose a machine here and it'll take weeks to get the bios replaced.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Lose a machine here, and you lose it. No BIOS replacements.

B

Bubba

don't flash your bios unless you know what you are doing

Aunty Em

I researched mine very carefully before I flashed it - then someone kindly told me I could have fried it. LOL. Fortunately I have Abit mobos and their instructions and information are excellent for a novice like me. Plus I also learnt some Dos 6.2 before hand to get comfortable with running in a Dos environment and found that I don't have a full Dos program so there are limits to what I can do.

I've also flash updated all the firmware on my optical drives since. And made my DVD Region free. :)

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
get into the BIOS, and look if a CDROM can be set as booting device :)

if so, and you want to boot from it, set it as nr 1 in the booting device sequence :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
don't flash your bios during an electrical storm either. that's how my K6-2 500 mobo and chip fried

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You shouldn't even run your puter during an electrical storm :retard:

Even I know that silly!

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
of course you can...that's why you have fuses....

just don't flash the bios and things will be ok.
as if i'm gonna turn off my 'puter and stereo because of a weenie storm....tsss....

i'm too geek for that.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Shadowfax said:
of course you can...that's why you have fuses....

just don't flash the bios and things will be ok.
as if i'm gonna turn off my 'puter and stereo because of a weenie storm....tsss....

i'm too geek for that.

I'm with you there, it has to be shaking the walls, lightning strikes in the yard, or visual confirmation of a tornado.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, I absolutely have to know the house has been lifted off the foundation before I go shutting my computer off. Anything less is already over before the damn thing even finishes shutting down.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
*gawd I hate doing this*

In defence **choke* of LL *gag, retch* theoretically, he's right.*falls over in a faint*

never mind :D

Jeslek

Banned
Aunty Em said:
Nixy said:
:shrug:

LL told me you should always turn off your puter in a storm

Don't you have a surge protector?
Yes but lady, let me tell you, nothing is going to protect you if a few million volts hit that.

I have a hard switch I can flip to instantly disconnect my sanctuary from supplied power. And I do it when I time lightning to be under 4 seconds.