Mother of 12 year old who committed suicide on trial for neglect

MrBishop

She worked 70hrs+ per week to raise her two kids.
Her house was dirty
Her son was being bullied at school, to the point where he wasn't going anymore.
She had provided counsellors for him, all without success.
He was 12 years old...and hung himself, in his bedroom closet, using a necktie.

They've arrested her for neglect for not being there for him and keeping a 'very' dirty living environments.

Comments?

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/GoodMorningAmerica/scruggs030909.html
ho_daniel_scruggs_030908_nv.jpg

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
It's kneejerk response, she tried to get him help, the school should have gotten more invloved.

I read teh story, the boy used to shit in his pants on purpose, just so he could stay home.

greenfreak

Read the whole article, it isn't that easy to point fingers in this case. Everyone always wants to point a finger at one source but it doesn't sound like any one person's responsibility to me. They had the mom, the school and outside agencies involved in his life before he killed himself yet it didn't prevent it from happening. With that many people involved, what else could you ask for to prevent it? Besides a Mom who didn't have to work 70 hours a week and a father, that is.

This disturbs me too because my niece is in sixth grade and I still think of her as a baby, even when I see her in makeup and with her hair done. I can't imagine her being messed up enough to take her own life.

SexyBoo

This just makes me sick. How sad - I don't even want to think about the little girl I sometimes spend time with (her mom is a total loser and her grandma has custody). She is 11 - and so smart, but she has her down times just because of her whole situation, etc. I hope that I help somewhat with that by babysitting and taking her to movies.... :(

MrBishop

The fact that the mom's on trial and not the school nor the agency is what's really buggin me right now.

I don't want to imagine the living cirumstances that this kid was in, not the bullying that he went through at school, but I know a woman with two kids, no daddy-dearest around to help, and one job. She works her ass off to get them food, keep the place clean, and spend time with them too. This woman must've really had it tough to have to work 2 jobs to support 3 people.

The description of the place they lived in disturbed me...imagine having only a 2ft wide path from the kitchen to the bedrooms...the rest of it filled with garbage etc...

Also...what a waste of a potentially powerful intellect...an IQ in the high 130's. Kid might've been the next Einstein.

CydCharisse

A 12 year old commiting suicide??!! Oh dear.....

Is it the mother's fault? Not entirely. The school should have stepped in because they knew he wasn't in school and should have found out why. Bpth should be on trial.

I'm still shocked that a kid so smart AND so young could do this...

freako104

Silver lady said:
WTF else was she supossed to do? They obviously haven't a clue! some people make my blood boil!

i do agree with you Sl, but they didnt know that. she cared for her kids but some people who work like that do neglect their kids and they affiliated her with that crowd. i feel so shitty for her since she was doing all she could.

freako104

and why didnt the school do anything? thats what gets me as well. cyd, it is sad but some people are bullied which can cause depression and low self esteem. then shit like this and though its been milked to death, Columbine. sad really

AnomalousEntity

A good friend of mine did the same thing (using a coat hanger) around the same age.

He was rather well off, not bullied around, and probably not as intelligent.

So who can we take to court for him.

Come on people the fact is "Shit happens"

You cant always pick a source or figure things out.

Its no doubt multi-factoral and many of the factors Im sure the boy took with him to his grave.

If we had all the answers we would not even need the justice system.

The fact is...THEY DONT HAVE ANY ANSWERS SO WHAT DO THEY DO?

ILL TELL YOU. Probably about 2 weeks worth research followed immediately by MAKING SHIT UP, followed immediately by moronic finger pointing, outrageous accusations, and ultimately more destruction.

Thats why

Mirlyn

Whats worse? The fact that he took his own life or the fact that we're trying to sue someone/something to make it all better? :shrug: Call me crazy, but what good would suing someone over this do? Who specifically can you blame? Obviously, the answer is anyone and everyone else. :rolleyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MERIDEN, Conn. - A mother was convicted of contributing to the suicide of her 12-year-old son, a victim of bullying at school, in their filthy home because jurors agreed that she didn't do enough to help him, a juror said.

Judith Scruggs acknowledged Daniel would sometimes have body odor or bad breath and would soil himself to get out of going to school. She said she frequently told Daniel to take showers, but said she could not force him to do so.

Prosecutors said they took no joy in charging a grieving mother, but felt a jury should decide whether Scruggs' actions contributed to the boy's death. The presented evidence that there was barely room to move around the home because of clutter, the kitchen was full of dirty dishes and the toilet, bathroom sink and tub were soiled.

Norris, who had called the boy's death a case of "Bullycide," said prosecutors never provided evidence linking the condition of the home to the suicide. He portrayed Judith Scruggs as a loving single mother who worked two jobs - full-time as a teacher's aide in Daniel's school and part-time at a discount store.

Like it or not, she was convicted. It appears they may have been right too. The boy had an obvious problem & the mother did little to nothing to assist.

Story

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
This is nothing but bullshit. How are you supposed to stop a kid from killing themselves if you don't catch them in the act? I feel really sorry for this mother, first to lose a child, then to get blamed for it. :disgust2:

AnomalousEntity

Gonz said:
Like it or not, she was convicted. It appears they may have been right too. The boy had an obvious problem & the mother did little to nothing to assist.

Story

There are millions of kids who live that way by choice...they are called teenagers.

What was she supposed to do...the kid was probably big enough to resist her. I suppose she was supposed to call 911 because the kid would not take a shower? :confused:

No I know...perhaps the jury would prefer she hold a gun to his head?

Bad breath and BO? That starts at around age 11 and continues for the rest of your life....never heard that as a reason for suicide. Hmm. I dont like having to shave...I guess Ill kill myself.

Cant move around because of clutter. Shit I guess every grandmother and 2/3rs of mothers in general need to be convicted of neglect.

If they came to my moms house they would no doubt convict her immediately upon walking in the door. :confused:

Dirty house....then I deserve to be sent to jail about 2x a month.

In fact...I would wager that 2/3rds of the Jury deserve to go to jail to if thats the benchmark.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I think it was a variety of factors, and they needed a scapgoat, hence the mother suffers, cause it plays better that way on CNN

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
AnomalousEntity said:
Cant move around because of clutter. Shit I guess every grandmother and 2/3rs of mothers in general need to be convicted of neglect.

Sun TImes said:
Prosecutors presented evidence that showed there was barely room to move around her home because of clothes, boxes and papers that littered the floor. The toilet, sink and tub were soiled.

Prosecution witnesses also described a foul odor. To get an idea what it was like, one officer suggested sticking your head in a hamper full of dirty clothes and whiffing garbage at the same time.

It went beyond messy.