Moving Logistics

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
So, I am in the process of looking for a place to move when my lease is up here but I have a couple concerns regarding notice and the actual move...I've never moved from one rental place to another...I'd appreciate any advice/stories about your experiences.

A little background: I currently live in a basement, my lease is up on Nov 30, 2007. 60 days notice is required to move out (so, beginning of October I have to give notice). I want to move into a building (I have one in mind, I'm stopping by next week to talk to the rental office).

My questions:

1 - The people in the buildings have the same notice requirements as I do. Am I going to have to give my notice without knowing that I have an apartment at the building or do buildings usually keep units empty for a month for "fix ups" (ie. would a unit available for rent Dec 1 actually be vacated on Oct 31 and therefore have notice given on Sept 1)?

2 - How do people usually work it when they have to be out of their current place by midnight on the last of the month but can't move in to their new place until say 9am (when the rental office opens) on the first? Do landlords usually let you move in at the end of the day on the last providing the old tenants are out? Do you have to store your stuff in a truck overnight and find somewhere else to sleep?

Inkara1

The amount of time they keep the apartment open for "fix ups" is how long it takes to do the fixing up. Every day that apartment sits empty and unrented is a day it's not generating rental income. When I moved, I put in my notice with the old landlord on the day I took possession of the new place (we only need 30 days notice here) and just paid two rents for that month. I don't know how feasable that is under your financial situation, but it sure was nice having a month to get stuff moved and cleaned up, etc. while still having to work. Is there a requirement that you give your notice on the very first of the month? Perhaps you could wait until you know you have a place, and then give your notice a week into the month, and pay that prorated amount of rent.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
On a monthly rent (which I am) if you don't give the full 60 days notice then you're responsible for up to a month's extra rent if noone moves in.

For example, if I gave notice a week into october (so like 53 days notice) and the apartment wasn't rented for Dec 1 when I moved out I'd have to pay rent for the month of December if noone moved in (or for the portion of the month that it wasn't rented if someone moved in before January).

I feel that paying two rents would be a huge waste of money. I don't pay pocket change for my place...

Djcake

My questions:

1 - The people in the buildings have the same notice requirements as I do. Am I going to have to give my notice without knowing that I have an apartment at the building or do buildings usually keep units empty for a month for "fix ups" (ie. would a unit available for rent Dec 1 actually be vacated on Oct 31 and therefore have notice given on Sept 1)?

2 - How do people usually work it when they have to be out of their current place by midnight on the last of the month but can't move in to their new place until say 9am (when the rental office opens) on the first? Do landlords usually let you move in at the end of the day on the last providing the old tenants are out? Do you have to store your stuff in a truck overnight and find somewhere else to sleep?

#1 Most places will leave an Apt. empty for 1 month allowing ppl to come and fix it up

#2 it actually depends on where you are moving from and to some places will allow you to move in a few days early if the apt. is ready (I moved in 2 weeks early where I am now and didn't get charged for it)