MSN messenger

Anon

Ok. I have messenger 6.2, I didn't have the program started and I have the messenger service disabled and yet people on my contact list said that I was online. How? And is there a way for me to fix this? Thanks

Kawaii

Tried disconnecting your internet for 5-10 mins or so? If you're still logged in after that, you're logged in somewhere else, ie someone is using your account/you forgot to log out somewhere.

ElementOfChaos

sometimes the messaging server does not update your status correctly so your status will be still on 'online' even after you logged off

StuTheWise

ElementOfChaos said:
sometimes the messaging server does not update your status correctly so your status will be still on 'online' even after you logged off

Quite true. This happens at work every once in awhile. If you are actually offline, but your status shows online, when one of your buddies tries to IM you, they should get a message that you're offline.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Anon said:
Ok. I have messenger 6.2, I didn't have the program started and I have the messenger service disabled and yet people on my contact list said that I was online. How? And is there a way for me to fix this? Thanks
Disabling the "Messenger Service" is not the same as disabling MSN messenger. You have to open it, go into preferences, and specifically select not to automatically log in when an internet connection is present.

Anon

Did that too. Nothing really seems to work because whenever I start up, Winpatrol always shows MSNmessenger as an active task :(

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Did you get rid of the original msn messenger that comes with windows? MSN 6 does not override that one...you end up with two MSNs when you install MSN 6