Must suck to be in Toronto now

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Both the inside workers and outside workers for the city are out on strike. NO garbage collection, no pools for the kids, few community centres, few services available. Garbage is piling up, people are dumping it wherever they want.

YUCK
What's not available now...

Professur

I just love watching people pile garbage up around themselves, waiting for someone else to take it away. The idea of the common human sheep burying themselves in their own waste makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
only around a week, week and a half I think for the garbage, inside guys just yesterday.

Imagine a month! :eek:

The mayor is holding out, there is a stand off, they're expecting it to last at least the summer, the issue is job security (jobs for life), the mayor says noone has job security anymore and he'll not sign.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The normal, contracts are up, some dumbass set it up so they'd all be up at the same time.

Professur

Dumbass? Sounds like the union planned it just perfectly. A garbage strike in winter means nothing. Have the entire city go on strike right at the beginning of tourist season, and the city has to pay attention. If they want to ever see another election that is.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I hope the mayor stands off for awhile anyway. Job security - bullshit.

The dumbass was the one in the city that let it be set up like that.

unclehobart

It worked *shrug* Time to peel the rotten onion layers off or be held hostage. I chose to fight rather than to cower.

Professur

You don't have the Canada Employment Act to deal with. The thousands of people you fire will still be on the public payroll for another year. Plus, you'd have the added expense of trying to find jobs for all the losers with no other job skills after the fact.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Yes. Sadly, it's probably cheaper to keep them. But the citizens of Toronto can console themselves with the thought that the workers will have to pick it all up after the strike, after it's been sitting out in the heat of summer for weeks :D

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by unclehobart
Time to fire the entire public works depatment and start fresh.

Better yet, simply do away with the sanitation department, and tell people they're going to have to hire their own garbage collector. Then let anyone with a truck go into business for himself removing garbage for a price.

Where I live we can choose from about a half dozen garbage companies. I think the county still owns the landfill, but at least there's some competition in the pick up service. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that the government should be involved in garbage disposal at all.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:confuse3: I don't know if that would work in Toronto, the apartments and businesses with dumpsters for the most part have private collection, but I think in the main, Toronto would be too big to cope with that.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
people already do that :sick:

sadly, it was a joke during the heat wave:

"It's sooooooooo hot...
that people are swimming in Lake Ontario :eek: "

unclehobart

Sounds as if the cowering and hostage taking took place long long ago if your welfare state labor laws are that gravy heavy.

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by Professur
Too much chance of a fly-by-nighter doing pickups and dumping it in the lake.

Yep. Stuff like that never happens with the government looking after things.