My Geforce2 just blew up!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The monitor went black, so I tried to tighten the connector and suddenly, POP, small puff of smoke from the card and the computer shut itself off. I pulled it out and there appears to be no damage other than smelling an awful lot like hot electronics. So I tried to put it back in, but got the dreaded Beeeeeep, beep-beep.

I am sad. I am now using a Rage XL AGP2x.

:mope:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It was UNDERclocked because I didn't have a fan on it.

175/250. Down from 200/333 default.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I kinda had a fan on it but it was one of those slot fans so it wasn't directly on the heatsink but it was close enough (the damn heatsink is wide enough to be cooled off at least some by it)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand. :mope:

The thing ran for so long with the slot fan right underneath it. :mope:

Why did it suddenly decide to blow up now? :mope:

This is one of those expensive things to replace, too. :mope:

Why couldn't it have been the CD burner or the network card? :mope:

Or hell, even the motherboard. They're only $80 to $100 these days. :mope:

BUT NO! Now I'm going to have to spend $400 on a new Radeon 9800 Pro.

Damn.

:headbng2:

Well doubt its the no fan, the video card woulda exhibited lockups etc.. long before going fubar, gues its just a power spike from the monitor or maybe something jammed internally or the card shifted or something.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Professur said:
It might have been from playing with the video cable.
That was one of my first guesses... :mope: I had a feeling I shouldn't have messed around with it that time. It was already mad at me for having to take off the mounting bracket to get it to fit in the case.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not all that interested in an interim video card right now... I've got the Rage XL working and I'm going to head straight for Radeonville, ATI 9800.

That is a decent price for a GF4 though...

Professur

fury said:
Professur said:
It might have been from playing with the video cable.
That was one of my first guesses... :mope: I had a feeling I shouldn't have messed around with it that time. It was already mad at me for having to take off the mounting bracket to get it to fit in the case.

No mounting bracket? Jeez, no wonder. You were running without a ground.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Shit! I wish I would've known that! :mope:

I thought it grounded through one of the pins on the AGP slot. :mope: