"my name is ..."

Dave

Possibly derived from Hebrew dod meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him. Other famous bearers of this name include the 5th-century patron saint of Wales, two kings of Scotland, empiricist philosopher David Hume, and explorer David Livingstone. This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semiautobiographical novel 'David Copperfield'.

Liliandra

=Means simply "melody" from the English word, which derives from Greek melos "song" combined with aeidein "to sing".

Djcake

Means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It was borne by three kings of England including Richard the Lionheart, leader of the Third Crusade in the 12th century. Two German opera composers, Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss, have also had this name.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
From a surname which was derived from a Scottish place name meaning either "garden of hollies" or "garden by the pool" in Gaelic.

greenfreak

Feminine form of "Patrick" which means:

From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" in Latin. A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianizing the entire country.

Inkara1

I just checked the SBC Smart Yellow Pages... well, actually, I checked the white pages in the SBC Smart Yellow Pages. I found no one with a last name of ****** anywhere in the book.

Uki Chick

NATALIA
Usage: Polish, Italian, Spanish
Pronounced: nah-TAH-lyah (Italian, Spanish) [key]
Polish, Italian and Spanish form of NATALIE

From the Late Latin name Natalia, which meant "Christmas Day" from Latin natale domini.

Starya

Ann, English form of Anne

French form of HANNAH. This is the name traditionally assigned to the mother of the Virgin Mary, though she is not mentioned in the Bible. The name was borne by a 17th-century English queen and also by the second wife of Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn (the mother of Queen Elizabeth I), who was eventually beheaded in the Tower of London. This is also the name of the heroine in 'Anne of Green Gables' by Canadian author L. M. Montgomery.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Female Form of Nicholas

From the Greek name Nikolaos which meant "victory of the people" from Greek nike "victory" and laos "people". Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop from Anatolia who, according to legend, saved the daughters of a poor man from lives of prostitution. He is also known as Santa Claus (from Dutch Sinterklaas), the bringer of Christmas presents. He is the patron saint of children, sailors and merchants, and Greece and Russia. Nicholas was also the name of two czars of Russia and five popes.

So, I was named after Santa Claus :lloyd:

Stop Laughing

From a Scottish surname which was originally derived from a place name possibly meaning "wood" in British. This was the surname of a long line of Scottish earls.

I dare someone NOT to make fun of my name now. :eek:

MrBishop

Roman praenomen, or given name, which was probably derived from the name of the Roman god MARS. Two famous Roman bearers of this name were Marcus Tullius Cicero (known simply as Cicero), a statesman and orator, and Marcus Aurelius, a notable emperor of the 2nd century. This was also the name of a pope of the 4th century. Marcus is the original form of the name Marc.

MrsBish next
From the Provençal name Mireio, which was first used by the poet Frederic Mistral. He probably derived it from the Provençal word mirar meaning "to admire".
BishJr. Next
Spanish form of XAVIER. Derived from the Basque place name Etxabier meaning "the new house". Saint Francis Xavier was the Jesuit priest who popularized the name. He was a missionary to India, Japan, China, and other areas in eastern Asia. He is the patron saint of the Orient and missionaries.

freako104

ERIC

Usage: English, French
Pronounced: ER-ik (English), er-EEK (French) [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days, Websites
Options: Contribute Information, Add to List

From the Old Norse name Eiríkr, derived from ei "ever" and ríkr "ruler". Danish invaders first brought the name to England. A famous bearer was Eiríkr inn Rauda (Eric the Red in English), a 10th-century navigator and explorer who discovered Greenland. This was also the name of kings of Denmark, Sweden and Norway.