My new Vista desktop!

markjs

Banned
The thing I actually dislike about Vista is they have dumbed it down so much it's ridiculous and they changed many things that didn't need changing but after a small adjustment period I am beginning to "get it".

BlurOfSerenity

lol, mark, i agree! i mostly said it to be funny. i love my mac, it behaves much better toward me than any pc i've had... but i hate the whole "we wear birkenstocks and drive VW's and drink starbucks and save the whales" thing. it is that sort of reputation it has that made me reluctant to accept macs for a number of years! (i vehemently hated them, swearing by pc's for most of my computering life). (and by pc i mean "pc running windows")

markjs

Banned
lol, mark, i agree! i mostly said it to be funny. i love my mac, it behaves much better toward me than any pc i've had... but i hate the whole "we wear birkenstocks and drive VW's and drink starbucks and save the whales" thing. it is that sort of reputation it has that made me reluctant to accept macs for a number of years! (i vehemently hated them, swearing by pc's for most of my computering life). (and by pc i mean "pc running windows")

It's that same thing that makes me hate being termed liberal, I share many of those folks ideals, but precious little else. I much favor progressive. Or if you must use liberal, call me a "realistic liberal".

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The latest OS has made me want a Mac. I went into an Apple store a couple times and test drove a few of their machines, loaded with the fresh new Mac OS 10.5. I gotta say, this is probably what Vista should have been, as far as UI goes. It has a few of its own quirks that I noticed right off the bat, but not any more than Vista has. The main thing I notice is how much smoother it is than Vista (i.e. multitasking, and still getting the same UI feedback like moving your mouse over something and getting a tooltip, or clicking something and it starts showing the "loading" feedback instantly)

And accessible. Holding down Control and scrolling was my favorite part - universal zoom, it zooms in and centers on your cursor.

The sad part is the price tag - easily the most expensive OS on the planet for PC users, since it comes with a Mac.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If Mac decided to be less proprietary & wrote their OS for every piece of hardware & software of the planet, the'd be called Microsoft. Unfortunately, if you ise Mac, you buy Mac, at a premium.

markjs

Banned
But it's still a Mac! If you want an affordable PC that you can upgrade, get a PC Vista comes free with it! If you still ain't happy put Ubuntu, or hell even a modern version of Debian on it. If you still aren't happy I guess go by a Mac and start bragging about how you "think different" (read; are just not up to the tech game).

Oh hell just buy what you want but don't go feeling superior no matter what it is!

markjs

Banned
If I had a Mac it'd at least have Ubuntu on it as my main OS. No matter how much I use a Mac I am trained to mostly not "think different".

chcr

Too cute for words

We don't really care about your undergarments. :tim:

Interestingly, I find no significant differences between PCs and Macs other than price. Both run programs I can use to do the things I do with a computer. Dara definitely finds the Mac easier to use but I really don't. Frankly, at 600 bucks, the price wasn't really all that prohibitive either. We use a four button scrall mouse and winders keyboard. Both work fine.