Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E-bay it.

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

unclehobart

I want one this old.

phone%20old%20cell.jpg

Inkara1

I'm not sure whether the women's shelter could still use them or not. You'd have to ask them. I do know the intent of donating them is so they can give them to women to call for help, and the E911 is supposed to make it so they can find the phone, since you can't trace a 911 call to a cell phone the same way you can trace a 911 call from a house phone.

Inkara1

I also forgot to mention... when I was at RadioShack (which was the time the new law took effect), the local women's shelter had its business office (the shelter itself is in a secret location for obvious reasons) in the building across the street. We would take people's old cell phones and give them to the shelter. If they could use them, great; if not (either couldn't be activated, or was actually broken), the shelter had someone they could sell the phones to for scrap, so they'd get a few bucks off each one. So even if they can't be activated, there's still a chance it would still benefit the shelter.

A.B.Normal

I'm not sure whether the women's shelter could still use them or not. You'd have to ask them. I do know the intent of donating them is so they can give them to women to call for help, and the E911 is supposed to make it so they can find the phone, since you can't trace a 911 call to a cell phone the same way you can trace a 911 call from a house phone.

A cellphone does not need to be activated to call 911.

f your wireless phone is not “initialized” (i.e., you do not have a contract for service with a wireless service provider), and your emergency call gets disconnected, you must call the emergency operator back because he or she does not have your telephone number and cannot contact you.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/wireless911srvc.html

Inkara1

Sounds like the phones would still be good for donation then... and I wonder if maybe the E911 thing is big brother watching you.