Na na na na..hey heya Goodbye (Expos)

MrBishop

Well...its practically official now. The Expos are leaving Montreal and heading for Washington. Its been more than 30 years since the last time something like this happened (1971) and its hard to see them go.

I used to attend a few games per year with my father, and had hoped to start this same tradition with my son... looks like that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

The Expos have been going downhill since the 1994 lost season and the splitting up of the teams' best players. It's been sold several times, and the last owners have been the Association itself.

No one's come forward to buy the team and keep it locally, and the League ain't paying huge amounts of money to bring in great players...so all is lost.

Take it from a guy who grew up playing baseball... it's a loss!!

expos.jpg

Rose

Bummer for Montreal. I got to see the Expo's play against San Francisco (giants, 49ers? I forget whatever their baseball team is) when I was a kid. It was my first, only, and hopefully last baseball game to attend, but it was pretty neat.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
a loss?

a stadium that was built to hold 50,000 maybe getting 5000 people (5000 was a good night)

Face it montreal is not a baseball city, we are a hockey town.

better that the team goes where it is wanted.

MrBishop

paul_valaru said:
a loss?

a stadium that was built to hold 50,000 maybe getting 5000 people (5000 was a good night)

Face it montreal is not a baseball city, we are a hockey town.

better that the team goes where it is wanted.

We USED to get in the 30-40k fans per game before 1994... gone downhill a lot since then. That's what happens when you refuse TV and Radio rights and stop investing in new players and team building.

Montreal does NOT like losing teams.

MrBishop

Now we're stuck with a stadium and no team to put in it. Granted, the 'spos only brought in 3% of revenue for the whole stadium, but it's a sports stadium.

I'd like to see the Alouettes or Impact palying there.

Professur

The Al's did play there. They lost money, went bankrupt, and closed. Then the Browns moved here. They were losing money too. Then they moved to the McGill Stadium. Now they've earned enough to pay to enlargen the place to double it's capacity.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
one of the major problems is that god damned stadium, should be torn down, or reinfoced and made into an exposition center (note to non-montrealers the car show used to be there, but a peice of roof fell and squished a car)

MrBishop

Professur said:
The Al's did play there. They lost money, went bankrupt, and closed. Then the Browns moved here. They were losing money too. Then they moved to the McGill Stadium. Now they've earned enough to pay to enlargen the place to double it's capacity.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact

If the Al's can bring home the Grey Cup and the Impact the A-League championship, then they can certainly fill up the stadium better than the 5k that the 'spos were bringing in.

The Als have already clinched the 2004 playoff game.
Their current stadium can only accomodate 19,500 people, but swelled to over 26,000 for the last grey cup game. Heading into the 2004 season, the Alouettes have sold out 46 consecutive games at Molson Stadium. Link

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
MrBishop said:
If the Al's can bring home the Grey Cup and the Impact the A-League championship, then they can certainly fill up the stadium better than the 5k that the 'spos were bringing in.

The Als have already clinched the 2004 playoff game.
Their current stadium can only accomodate 19,500 people, but swelled to over 26,000 for the last grey cup game. Heading into the 2004 season, the Alouettes have sold out 46 consecutive games at Molson Stadium. Link

the als do not want to play in the big O, people don't want to go to the big O, they don't like it. if the Als started playing there again ticket prices would go up, and attendance would go down.

MrBishop

paul_valaru said:
the als do not want to play in the big O, people don't want to go to the big O, they don't like it. if the Als started playing there again ticket prices would go up, and attendance would go down.

:shrug: and the "Impact" ?

We gotta use the Big Owe for something...it's almost paid off.

MrBishop

Professur said:
We could use it for the Gay Games ....
Kaboom

Sure...burn down the house with the mortgage. What a waste of money.

We tried getting the gay olympics. Havn't gotten them yet. :shrug:

Remember...the 'spos were only 3% of the revenue. You'd throw away the other 97% ?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
MrBishop said:

Remember...the 'spos were only 3% of the revenue. You'd throw away the other 97% ?

yes, the other 97% is our taxes

MrBishop

paul_valaru said:
yes, the other 97% is our taxes

...and the motorcross, and the Tractor pulls, and the monster truck ralleys, and the Black and Blue, and the Home Show, and ...

MrBishop

brownjenkins said:
sad to hear you're losing 'em mrb... always wanted to catch a sox game up there but never got around to it

Well...Montreal IS a hockey city now..and a lot of people aren't shedding a whole lot of tears for their loss. Myself...I got hooked early on BBall. I'll miss them.

Professur

MrBishop said:

Just out of curiosity: Does the entire 100% even begin to cover the expenses of keeping that shithouse? Never mind the cost of building it, i mean just the day-to-day expenses? Heating, taxes, roof repair, janitorial service, snow removal, roof repair, administration, security, roof repair, concrete removal, etc?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Professur said:
Just out of curiosity: Does the entire 100% even begin to cover the expenses of keeping that shithouse? Never mind the cost of building it, i mean just the day-to-day expenses? Heating, taxes, roof repair, janitorial service, snow removal, roof repair, administration, security, roof repair, concrete removal, etc?

you forgot roof repair.

needs to be in there 4 more times, cause winter is coming.

MrBishop

Professur said:

Yes...and slowly repaying the debt on it.

The real question is...if you tear it down, what do you replace it with?