Name a movie that you've seen, that you wish that others would see but ...

unclehobart

tonks said:
anyone seen the kentucky fried movie? zorro the gay blade.
and and i forgot to add:
MEL BROOKS IS A FUCKING GENIUS!
FOrget thee not the follow up to KFMovie ... Airplane! ... 'I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue'

Mare

freako104 said:
maybe not but i loved it. i thought it was a great romance movie and had some cool shots of France. My french class when I was in HS watched it for kicks when the semester and year was pretty much over.

Sleepless in Seattle is kind of old but again i thought it was a fantastic love story.

The burbs was hilarious same with big.

the breakfast club isnt too well known to some people ive met but damn its such a good movie

Yeah -can relate to ya :winkkiss: - Tom Hanks is a great actor.
I enjoyed watching him in Philadelphia (think that's the name-where he is lawyer with aides??) and he was good in Forest Gump....also Big....

Dave

gosford park was actually quite good
mulholland drive was excellent (after the 3rd time watching it...)
there is this other movie, i cant think of the name. stars liam neeson and meryl streep. they are husband/wife who help their son cover up the son killing his girlfriend.

IDLEchild

Spot said:
gosford park was actually quite good

Worst excuse for a comedy i have ever seen, it still amazes me how i sat through this snooze fest of a movie

mulholland drive was excellent (after the 3rd time watching it...)

I am very serious in asking this request: Does anybody comprehend the plot of this movie, besides the excellent love scenes between Laura Harring and Naomi Watts this movie is just one beweildering experience.

Rose

Ms Ann Thrope said:
This one's pretty old (1973!), but one of my favorites: The Day of the Jackal, directed by Fred Zinnemann and based on a novel by Frederick Forsyth. It's the story of how a professional assassin codenamed "Jackal" plots to kill Charles de Gualle, the President of France. Remade in 1997 and called The Jackal -- STEER CLEAR OF THIS ONE! It's utter garbage. :disgust:

The recent Jackal - with Bruce Willis? I saw it once, a while back, and didn't think it too bad. But I've not seen the original which probably has great influence on opinion.

Anyone up about 2001 A Space Odyssey? I've not fully seen it yet, but hear rave reviews from peers.

Ms Ann Thrope

Buttcrackdivine said:
Worst excuse for a comedy i have ever seen, it still amazes me how i sat through this snooze fest of a movie

I am very serious in asking this request: Does anybody comprehend the plot of this movie, besides the excellent love scenes between Laura Harring and Naomi Watts this movie is just one beweildering experience.

Gosford Park was OK, but a waste of Altman's talents. Considering this man gave us Nashville, Short Cuts, MASH, Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, and others, Gosford Park seems like a simple money-making exercise.

Mulholland Drive was marvelous, imho. I'm not wild about simple, linear narratives. Plot? Maybe there was one I missed, but I never looked for it. I saw more than one possible conclusion that emerged from deeply resonant and atmospheric scenes. I found myself considering the characters' behaviour, and their interaction.

and what happened to the original topic on this thread? you can't ALL be such mainstream moviegoers? :rolleyes: surely SOME of you see independent, small budget films? c'mon guys -- let's name some movies that are a little more obscure than Spielberg's latest propoganda! *handonhip

IDLEchild

Read my recommendations Ms Ann Thrope

Sholay
Devdas (i hated it but the cinematics deserve something)
Missippi Masala
Monsoon weddings
American desi
Company (wonderful)
Iron Giant
Metropolis
Spirited away.

Ms Ann Thrope

Rose said:
The recent Jackal - with Bruce Willis? I saw it once, a while back, and didn't think it too bad. But I've not seen the original which probably has great influence on opinion.

yeah, originals are nearly always better:

The Day of the Jackal vs The Jackal
Solaris (by Tarkowski) vs Solaris (with George Clooney)
Insomnia (with Stellan Skarsgård) vs Insomnia (with Al Pacino)

Rose said:
Anyone up about 2001 A Space Odyssey? I've not fully seen it yet, but hear rave reviews from peers.

This is something that should only be seen as a flim (vs video) on a large screen. Better never to have viewed it at all than to watch it on a television. It's a masterpiece... :bgtup:

Ms Ann Thrope

Buttcrackdivine said:
Read my recommendations Ms Ann Thrope

Sholay
Devdas (i hated it but the cinematics deserve something)
Missippi Masala
Monsoon weddings
American desi
Company (wonderful)
Iron Giant
Metropolis
Spirited away.

Much better! Thanks, my faith in this community has been restored. ;)

tonksy

but i'm a cheerleader was funny. it's a farce about the way society views homosexuality.
8 mile was very good, imho. i respect eminem, even if he gets a little extreme on use, every now and again.
the paino was fantastic. i love harvey kietel! and his nudes scenes in this movie were great....compared to bad lieutenant.

IDLEchild

Quills
Iris
Lock Stock and two smoking Barrels
About a boy
The full monty
24 Hour Party People
Irreversible (if squemish best to avoid)
Catch me if you can
Confessions of a dangerous mind
Welcome to Collinwood (hillarious)
K-Pax.

tonksy

freako104 said:
full metal jacket
the shining
clockwork orange(though the book is far better)
my exhusband makes the most striking private pyle face you ever saw....disturbing....and i am beginning to believe i have to see boondock saints.