Need a diamond ring? Look at pawn shop first!

ol' man

I have been searching for ring for the last 60 days and finally I went to the Twin Cities St. Paul/Minneapolis and checked a few pawn shops up there and found a $2500~$2700 0.5 carat flawless diamond ring for $770 after tax!

Definatly look at some diamond grading websites and maybe get a book. i did these and found a very awesome stone for a very awesome price! They probably did not know exactely what they had! Most stores do not carry these quality of stones! If you know anything about diamonds it has no inclusions or cracks with a 10x loupe and color is near colorless to colorless! Faint flourescence! Ideal cut and perfect symmetry!

The little lady likes it:D

Definatly don't just go in and buy a ring, check it out very good cause I saw some real crap!

Before this I was looking at a .33 carat for about $1000 with quality a little less than this one in a retail jewlery store! Instead I got a stone twice to three times better for $230 less! Granted I am going to through it into a better band though and that will cost a little extra but not much!

Janimal

Hate to inject badness and caution into a good buy, but be careful of what you are picking up when you buy from a pawnshop - especially if it's good quality.

Many years ago, my sister's ex-boyfriend (thank goodness) stole a number of items from my mother, one of which was my grandmother's wedding and engagement bands. He hawked them at a local pawnshop, which in turn melted the metal down and reset the stones. I'm sure whoever bought the result got a good deal. :(

Janimal

kuulani said:
I hope your sister's ex-boyfriend gets what he deserves. :grumpy:

Only sort of. Two to three years in prison for grand theft. Doesn't bring back the rings though. Out of all the stuff he took, that was probably the most painful.

ol' man

Janimal said:
Hate to inject badness and caution into a good buy, but be careful of what you are picking up when you buy from a pawnshop - especially if it's good quality.

Many years ago, my sister's ex-boyfriend (thank goodness) stole a number of items from my mother, one of which was my grandmother's wedding and engagement bands. He hawked them at a local pawnshop, which in turn melted the metal down and reset the stones. I'm sure whoever bought the result got a good deal. :(

Well since this pawn shop had two cops walking around in it I am going to assume it was a reputable pawn shop! The people who owned the place worked very close with the cops and I would not be surprised if the cops or city had some part in this shop! It is much too fancy to be a mom and pop pawnshop! A sign on the wall said all of the purchases had to pass by the local authorities before they could sell them! You also have a 3 day waiting period after you pawn somehting just so cops can check them out!

kuulani

Janimal said:
kuulani said:
I hope your sister's ex-boyfriend gets what he deserves. :grumpy:

Only sort of. Two to three years in prison for grand theft. Doesn't bring back the rings though. Out of all the stuff he took, that was probably the most painful.

Shall I curse his hands off for you?

Jeslek

Banned
1 carat = 200 milligrams = 0.2 grams

karat is the unit of purity. 24 karat gold is 100% pure gold. An 18-karat ring is 18 parts gold and 6 parts something else.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
ohh i see now, that's what we call "kilate", somehow i thought it would be a similar word in english.

thx LL

fi

saw something bizarre on CNN yesterday - this guy who's dying is going to have his ashes made into an industrial diamond which his wife can then wear as a ring...

...yeeeuch...