Need advice about a stolen car

IDLEchild

So my car was stolen. It sucks ass but it happened. But, the insurance company keeps finding new excuses to delay the claim. I gave them everything they asked for but every week they keep coming up with new excuses and keep delyaing a judgement.

However, I am starting to get worried that they're now starting to use scare tactics. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? Anyone have any ideas on what my rights are? I know I am just one guy and they're a big corporation and they can give me hell but they keep delaying things and it has been almost 3 months now since it was stolen.

It shouldn't take this long should it? I don't want to keep harassing the claims adjuster because he can just get annoyed and make things worse.

Are they doing this because I am young so they think they can push me around and get me to settle for little to no payment?

Any advice would help. Thanks.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Read your policy.

Not as a civilian, read it as a lawyer. Look for anything that they, or you, can use.

chcr

Too cute for words
Suggest *nicely* that if you don't get some satisfaction in a timely manner they will leave no choice but to hire an attorney. If it comes to that, some lawyers will take your case on spec, with a relatively small retainer up front.

MrBishop

Suggest *nicely* that if you don't get some satisfaction in a timely manner they will leave no choice but to hire an attorney. If it comes to that, some lawyers will take your case on spec, with a relatively small retainer up front.
In addition...and this is a really nice trick if you can manage it...find a lawyer with the same family name as yours. Have him/her write up a quick letter to the insurance company on letterhead with their name on it.

The insurance company will think you two are related and take the threat more seriously....cause it's a lawyer helping 'family'. :rofl:

MrBishop

...oh. Sorry to hear about your car being stolen. Hopefully not too many personal effects disappeared along with the car.

H2O boy

sorry to hear about your car dude

one tactic i have used successfully in the past is to take a day off work. go to the office of whoever is causing the issue. even if its a local branch of a major corporation. be polite, be reasonable, and be professional. but pack a lunch. they will not lock the doors and go home while you are in their lobby. the calmer you remain, the more the person you are working with will get frustrated as closing time approaches. dont back down. they are supposedly there to serve you there customer. you might be amazed how quickly the local office manager can get some resolution as it dawns on him that he is about to miss his dinner reservation

Mirlyn

BBB. Then file a complaint against them with the cops.
In my experience (both as a consumer and business owner), the BBB is completely worthless, at best. They're simply a business in the business of collecting dues.
Read your policy.

Not as a civilian, read it as a lawyer. Look for anything that they, or you, can use.
I'd start with these suggestions. Are you with a locally-operating agent? I'd be in constant contact with him/her/them to let them know how "corporate" is (or isn't) handling it. Realizing there needs to be investigation from their side of things, I would also inquire about an escalation process to help things along or at the very least get regular updates and ETA of decisions as your case moves through the system.

I would consider 30 days to be an acceptable resolution time frame, and would let them know that further actions* may be warranted after this. Does your policy have any of these stipulations?

* Depending on the time elapsed, perhaps letters of the situation to media (TV/paper/etc). A little PR doesn't hurt if it goes too far. Legal doesn't have to be a threat until necessary.