networking message boards?

tommyj27

Not really Banned
does anyone frequent or know of any good message boards that focus on [data] networking? i'm looking for somewhere that can address some of the network questions i have that may be a bit too exotic for the general populus of OTC.

greenfreak

I'm not a member, but there's a board called Experts Exchange that constantly comes up when I do google searches for work-related stuff. You have to contribute to join and post your own thread.

Other than that, I don't really know of any networking-specific boards. If you find any, let me know. :)

tommyj27

Not really Banned
prof said:
Why not just try us first?
i could, it seems that some of my past threads have gone virtually unanswered or gone OT in no time flat, that and i'd like to find someplace more network-centric where i can keep a finger on what others are doing. i wasn't trying to call y'all a bunch of idiots, just OT.

greenfreak said:
I'm not a member, but there's a board called Experts Exchange that constantly comes up when I do google searches for work-related stuff. You have to contribute to join and post your own thread.

Other than that, I don't really know of any networking-specific boards. If you find any, let me know. :)
I see experts exchange links all the time too, I checked it out at one point and it looked like it was pay-to-play, and pretty expensive too, IIRC.

I think I was wondering how switch logic would deal with a duplicate mac address on different ports. a friend and i were discussing a wireless topology we've seen and that was a sticking point, whether traffic from duplicate macs would get passed or not, and what would be done with the return traffic.

Professur

tommyj27 said:
i could, it seems that some of my past threads have gone virtually unanswered or gone OT in no time flat, that and i'd like to find someplace more network-centric where i can keep a finger on what others are doing. i wasn't trying to call y'all a bunch of idiots, just OT.

I see experts exchange links all the time too, I checked it out at one point and it looked like it was pay-to-play, and pretty expensive too, IIRC.

I think I was wondering how switch logic would deal with a duplicate mac address on different ports. a friend and i were discussing a wireless topology we've seen and that was a sticking point, whether traffic from duplicate macs would get passed or not, and what would be done with the return traffic.

That would depend highly on the hardware. A Cisco could probably handle it, a d-link probably not.

Winky

"duplicate mac addresses"?

Glad you DIDN'T call US uninformed lol

Your question either isn’t ‘framed’ correctly or
you are under the false impression that there
are multiple nic cards running around with the
same mac address (not)

------------------
Changing MAC addresses
Although physical MAC addresses are permanent by design, several mechanisms allow modification, or "spoofing", of the MAC address that is reported by the operating system.

-------------------
so is there a problem somewhere that incorrect MAC addresses are being assigned
cuz ever one knows MAC addresses are unique Right?

If you really had two nic cards with the same hard coded mac address (this is impossible right?) then the proper solution would be to reaplce the offending card!

Professur

Q. Does Cisco Systems Network Architecture (CSNA) support duplicate MAC addresses?

A. Yes, CSNA supports duplicate MAC addresses. However, each must be on a different internal LAN and each must have a different Relative Adapter Number (RAN).

Professur

tommyj27

Not really Banned
grrr, my elaborate reply got wiped out by mistake.

it's true that duplicate burned-in mac addresses are highly unlikely to exist on the same network, but changing a mac address in linux is as simple as 'ifconfig <int> hw ether <xyz mac>'. we're trying to figure out how a wireless network with multiple APs on a single broadcast domain will react to someone trying to gain access by spoofing a legitimate mac/ip combination from an incorrect port on the switch, if that makes any sense.

chcr

Too cute for words
tommyj27 said:
grrr, my elaborate reply got wiped out by mistake.

it's true that duplicate burned-in mac addresses are highly unlikely to exist on the same network, but changing a mac address in linux is as simple as 'ifconfig <int> hw ether <xyz mac>'. we're trying to figure out how a wireless network with multiple APs on a single broadcast domain will react to someone trying to gain access by spoofing a legitimate mac/ip combination from an incorrect port on the switch, if that makes any sense.

If I understand what the book says, tommyj, it will return an error message and not let the second MAC log in. Why don't you try it and see? As you say,spoofing a MAC in Linux is easy.

rrfield

That's why I use 802.1x authentication in addition to MAC authentication on the wireless network at work...the second level of security doesn't have an effect on the user experience. It does create extra administration for me, but that's what I get paid for :)