New Pocket Rocket...(gun related)...

Aunty Em

Hmm, and there was me thinking that one of these days I'd come over there and visit you all... I'm having second thoughts about that... :lol:

Aunty Em

Yeah, I have relatives in Winnepeg and I've considered emigrating in the past... shame about the winters though, they'd play havoc with my arthritis...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
We have two seasons...winter and construction...being in the industry that I'm in I've come to realize this year how true that really is...and everyone does their damndest to overlap the construction into winter the best they can...

K62

I have never felt the need to carry a gun on me before. Not even after spending the good part of a night on East Hastings.

Aunty Em

No. I'm saying that there is nothing to fear from an armed populace.

You forget... I've seen some of your populace on the news and I think there's a lot to fear... mainly that I wouldn't let them in charge of a water pistol, never mind a loaded gun... :eek5:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You forget... I've seen some of your populace on the news and I think there's a lot to fear... mainly that I wouldn't let them in charge of a water pistol, never mind a loaded gun... :eek5:

I agree with you, there are too many stupid people in this world to let the general population walk around with guns.

BlurOfSerenity

but the criminals are going to walk around with guns even if we don't allow them, so disallowing law-abiding citizens from carrying them really just turns them into targets for the criminals, who the laws don't stop... hence why they'e criminals.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
but the criminals are going to walk around with guns even if we don't allow them, so disallowing law-abiding citizens from carrying them really just turns them into targets for the criminals, who the laws don't stop... hence why they'e criminals.

Criminals will have guns regardless...I'm more worried about the people who have no real intention of hurting anyone but they're just too stupid to properly handle a gun...those who wouldn't make an effort to break the law and buy a gun if they were illegal.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Not allowing the citizenry to arm themselves creates, by mandate, a victim society. Knowing that anyone at all coulf be/is armed deters far more than we'll be able to know.

What are you going to shoot up? A college or a gun shop?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Seems to me there is more "shooting up" going on in the states than up here...kids who can easily access guns and have something to proove/some beef to take out on someone...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Wasn't there a school shooting in Toronto recently?

I didn't say there was NO "shooting up" in Canada, I said there was less. But yes, there was a kid shot in a school in Toronto. The first one ever to be shot inside a school...and it wasn't a "shooting up" like I'm talking about...it was one kid, shot by some of his friends, with noone else around...not a shooting rampage like Columbine, or that college that recently got shot up. Besides, based on what's happened since it seems like the kids who did the shooting would fall into the "gangsta" category...I fully realize THOSE people are gonna have guns regardless.

Again, I realize there is nothing you can do to keep CRIMINALS from having guns...they're gonna get them, legal or not. The ADDED fear I have is the people who either commit crimes of opportunity...would certain people shoot other people if they hadn't been exposed to guns their whole life, would they actually go through the hassle of seeking out a gun if their father didn't have them in the house??? and the people who are too stupid to properly handle a gun and ACCIDENTALLY hurt/kill someone with no intent of causing any harm at all.

UndeadExploder

Criminals will have guns regardless...I'm more worried about the people who have no real intention of hurting anyone but they're just too stupid to properly handle a gun...those who wouldn't make an effort to break the law and buy a gun if they were illegal.

So you're in favor of restricting a means for good people to defend themselves because of what they "might" do? Isn't that a bit Minority Report? I mean, to be fair - by your logic we should restrict access to cars, knives, big rocks, pencils with really sharp points, plastic bags that might be used to suffocate someone, etc, etc.

It's a given that individuals are going to find ways to hurt themselves and others, whether it's due to stupidity or malice. Making objects unavailable based on the percieved maliciousness of their implementation does not stop this, it merely forces those who intend harm to adapt and use the myriad other objects at their disposal.