newb question again

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Disk cleanup, No that's not bad.

What do you mean by compressed old files? maybe bad, maybe not.

you could compress old files, might slow down the system if it needs to access them though, not 100% versed on the procedure, i always uncheck it.

greenfreak

I compressed some files a while back, in the very beginning, and it was a nightmare. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying I had a problem with it and accessing files afterwards, errors, etc.

Yup, figured it'd come back to bite me in the ass, so i stayed away from it, got enough hdd space to play with (nose in air) :D

sbcanada

I bet I have a larger disk space ratio for what I do with my computer than you do. :D

I have 120GB total and all I do is play a few different games, listen to music and use chat software and a browser. I bet you do all sorts of stuff that requires massive amounts of disk space... :brow:

:faptard: :faptard: :faptard: :faptard: :faptard: :faptard:

Jon

you'd be amazed how much you'd miss a girlfriend if she wasn't there...

:D

not that i'm saying you've not had a girlfriend though... ;)

Anon_me

Btw, I didn't compress any files, I think it did it automatically. Is there a way for me to uncompress them or uncheck any further compression? :p

fury

Administrator
Staff member
While you only have Windows open (no programs... and if possible close anything you installed running in the background, like systray items or Norton), select all files in your C: drive (in Explorer), right click, go to Properties, uncheck "Compress this folder to save disk space". It will ask whether you want to apply it to just the folder or to the folder and subfolders and files. Do it to all subfolders and files. May take a few years to complete, and some files may not be uncompressed due to them being in use by Windows, but you'll generally have faster access to them.