Not even smart enough for the "WTF were you thinking" file.

Professur

Passing Freight Trains Disrupt Marathon Mon Sep 26, 4:48 PM ET

EAST MOLINE, Ill. - Passing freight trains disrupted the 2005 Quad Cities Marathon, prompting a race organizer to drive a pace truck into the path of an approaching locomotive.

After runners were forced to stop and wait as two trains made their way through East Moline on Sunday, Joe Moreno sped over to an intersection near the 22-mile marker and parked his truck on the railroad tracks, blocking a third train from passing.

"I don't know how fast it was coming, but you could hear it coming from a distance. It was blowing its horn," Moreno said Monday.

The train stopped less than a block away from Moreno's truck.

Moreno says he then sat in the vehicle with the doors locked for nearly 1 1/2 hours as several hundred runners crossed the tracks. A railroad employee tried to get Moreno to move his truck, but it wasn't until police arrived that the former East Moline mayor agreed to move the vehicle.

"With every minute, I was buying time for the runners," Moreno said.

Richard Stoeckly, vice president and chief operating officer of the Iowa Interstate Railroad Co., said the disruptions were the result of a "breakdown in communication" between race organizers and the company.

The disruptions did not affect the marathon's elite runners, Moreno said, adding that a passing train also interrupted the marathon in 1999.

Kenyan Paul Rugut won the 26.2-mile race, which cuts across the Mississippi River and communities in both Illinois and Iowa, with a time of 2 hours, 20 minutes, 27 seconds.

source

Ok, lemme get this straight. A former Mayor (people voted for someone this stupid) drove a truck onto railroad tracks, knowing a train was coming for the benefit of a footrace that he wasn't even in. It's not specified, but I'm gonna give it a better than 50-50 chance that he actually sat in the truck the whole time, as opposed to blocking the tracks, getting out until the train had stopped, and then getting back in.

And then, if I read this correctly, it took an hour and a half from the time he blocked the tracks, to the time police arrived. And yet, he somehow thinks this was clever? "I was buying time"??? Yeah, pal. you were buying jailtime.

Mark this up as yet another state I shant be visiting.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
First, we'll elect us a retired pro wrestler to be governor. Then we'll get the former mayor to play chicken with an oncoming train to facilitate a marathon.

God bless Dixie.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
SouthernN'Proud said:
First, we'll elect us a retired pro wrestler to be governor. Then we'll get the former mayor to play chicken with an oncoming train to facilitate a marathon.

God bless Dixie.
The Pro Wrestler was in Minnesota. Now, the former mayor blocking a train? Well, it's flat up there, easy to see things blocking the track in time to stop.

BigDadday

Maybe he had a death wish? I mean to sit in it while it is coming at you takes one of two things. Guts or stupidity and I think the latter was in his corner as well.

Liliandra

TexasRaceLady said:
My first thought was --- Why should the course cross RR tracks? Surely there was an alternative.

If the town is anything like my old one it's a thin town, the railway went longways down the center... There wasn't enough room on either side to run anything like this unless you ran down on side of the street and back up the other.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:

God bless Dixie.

I believe Jesse Venture was a retired Navy SEAL. He paid his dues. Just like you're paying yours as a police officer. Just because he chose a second profession that is dubious, it wasn't illegal, and doesn't diminish him in any way. Hell...at least you knew where he was coming from. :shrug:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
PT said:
The Pro Wrestler was in Minnesota. Now, the former mayor blocking a train? Well, it's flat up there, easy to see things blocking the track in time to stop.
thank you for clearing that one up. i was worried for a second that we weren't the only state to elect an ex-rastler.

Our governor could have beat up your governor

rrfield

Uncle Jesse was also the mayor of a large TC burb, Brooklyn Park I think. Population close to 70,000.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Stop Laughing said:
At least he's not corrupt like our last governor. Wait, that's still not good...

Niether is this...

The page you requested cannot be found.

Most articles remain on our site for seven days; most columns remain online for a month, but they are available afterward for a fee in the online archives.

If you're searching for a movie review by Roger Ebert, they can be found in the Review Archive.

If you feel you reached this message in error, please contact the webmaster.

Stop Laughing

Dammit, the story's gone. Here's a different one. Anyways, our former gov George Ryan is in court facing 22 federal indictments ranging from racketeering to perjury to mail fraud to extortion. Seems like only the Republicans get caught in this state...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Gato_Solo said:
I believe Jesse Venture was a retired Navy SEAL. He paid his dues. Just like you're paying yours as a police officer. Just because he chose a second profession that is dubious, it wasn't illegal, and doesn't diminish him in any way. Hell...at least you knew where he was coming from. :shrug:

I'm a cop? Nobody told me.