Now I might actually go

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
TORONTO - Starting this week, movie buffs in Ontario will receive a temporary reprieve from high box office prices, as Famous Players experiments with lowering its admission prices. The cross-Canada theatre chain announced Wednesday that it will reduce its general admission price at Ontario theatres from a high of $13.95 to $9.95. Child and senior rates will remain unchanged at $8.50.

The drop, beginning Friday and continuing for an unspecified temporary period, follows successful price reductions at theatres in Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa and Winnipeg in recent years.

The move is part of the company's continuing attempt to bring movie fans back into theatres and away from competitors, like movie rentals and pay-per-view broadcasts on satellite and cable TV, said Robb Chase, president and chief executive of Famous Players.

In the markets where the company has cut prices, attendance has risen by 10 to 15 per cent, Chase said.

"We've seen what it's done elsewhere," he told CBC News. "It's that much more important to our business when we bring it to Ontario because of the numbers involved and the magnitude of the business here."

The limited time price drop is also a way to establish a single general admission price over the course of the week. This, however, puts an end to the lower fares of so-called "cheap Tuesdays" and daily matinees.
it's about time!!!

link

If only they could find a way to make people turn off their cell phones and sit quietly throughout the movie . . .

Bloody hell.....thats a bit expensive.....even in Briitsh money thats quite evil....I pay the equivalent of $6.50 CA when I go to the movies....

Around here it's about 6.00 US for the movie. A bucket of popcorn and a soda is another 6.

PT said:
Around here it's about 6.00 US for the movie. A bucket of popcorn and a soda is another 6.
in USD the 14 translates to about 8 bucks.

it's a lot, with either 3 kids or $20 for a sitter, plus the snacks. Prohibitive, really.

six fidy USD for a matinee
8+ plus fer other times.

Yah can only charge what the market will bear.

Sharky said:
If only they could find a way to make people turn off their cell phones and sit quietly throughout the movie . . .

would be nice but there are no rules against it. grrr.

they should lower the price here too. depending upon where you go it 6 or more.

It's $13.00 here. The thing that gets me is the money for popcorn and a drink! That's where they rob you blind.

Holy Crap. You're paying 25 US for DVD's?

Guess there isn't a Walmart in NZ yet, huh?

We have walmart equivalents, and you CAN get cheaper DVDS (like in the $15-25NZ rage), but it's pretty rare. CDs, DVDs, and such don't tend to come down in price. They just stay at full price. It's a fucking rip-off. :mad: A new CD is about $30NZ as well.

Movie tickets are around $10 - $12 here in NYC. I don't go much anymore. That's only one of the reasons why. :mope:

Back