Odd Firefox/Mac issue

Let me preface by saying I've used PCs all my computer life, but I recently got a Mac just to play with. I am attempting to use this thing for a while and just see if I can adjust. Its different, for sure, but it seems simple enough.

Here's where the issue comes into play and it is directly connected to this particular site! In Firefox after a short while I cannot access this site. I get server timeouts. My PC is on the same network and it has absolutely no trouble with Firefox or Internet Explorer. That is what's really odd, I can also access the site with Safari, (this is how I am writing this now) and the performance is lightening quick! So what gives with Firefox?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Let me preface by saying I've used PCs all my computer life, but I recently got a Mac just to play with. I am attempting to use this thing for a while and just see if I can adjust. Its different, for sure, but it seems simple enough.

Here's where the issue comes into play and it is directly connected to this particular site! In Firefox after a short while I cannot access this site. I get server timeouts. My PC is on the same network and it has absolutely no trouble with Firefox or Internet Explorer. That is what's really odd, I can also access the site with Safari, (this is how I am writing this now) and the performance is lightening quick! So what gives with Firefox?

It's a resource hog?

try clearing you cache and trying again.

(Or try google chrome)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Do you have the newest version of firefox? Firefox + mac isn't the happiest combination for whatever reason. Before I installed the latest version I used to have weird things happen. Firefox would think it wasn't connected to the internet (when the computer was definitely connected because I was having a MSN convo) or it would pick one site it didn't like to load (usually facebook). Since the latest version I have to force quit firefox every couple of days, but considering I never close the program other than that I can live with that. Yes, I could use Safari and not have these issues...but I'm used to firefox and I like it.

Well perhaps I spoke too soon. I had thought that this was a Firefox issue, but now it seems that the network connection itself dies out after a short time. It is just that Firefox is for some reason more quickly effected than Safari. I don't get it, all my PCs run off this router, but the Mac works great for a little while, then nothing...?

Inkara1

I don't have any issues on this site with firefox 3.0.8 and Mac OSX 10.4.11 at work.

Are you running the mac through a wired connection or through Airport?

I don't have any issues on this site with firefox 3.0.8 and Mac OSX 10.4.11 at work.

Are you running the mac through a wired connection or through Airport?

It's wired, and I think I may have found the culprit. It seems to be fine until I use the application "Transmission", a BitTorrent client. As soon as I run that that seems to be when the problems start. I had to take the old lady to get her eyes checked, but before we left I left it on an it was fine. I will check again when I get home, but I strongly suspect Transmission is just screwy.

Inkara1

That's why you need to make sure you use the right fluid. If it says use ATF+3, don't use Dexron. That way, you won't screw up your transmission.