OK, I've procrastinated enough... OCing my TBird

ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v234.exe

after install go to options - torture test.

when you minimize you'll see like a red/pink icon if it goes yellow it failed and your OC is not stable. If it fails like in the first few mins then its reallllly unstable, up core volts a notch (up to about 1.85v is safe for Tbirds, but you'd need to have decent cooling)

Aunty Em

Thanks Justin... it's busy torturing away... it hasn't crashed yet so we'll see... cpu temp has gone up to 49C though so it's obviously busy!

Update: I stopped the test and tried the computer at 133 x 10, it seemed OK so I pushed it to x 10.5 and started the torture test, it failed immediately so I've taken it back to x10 and am running the test now... so far so good @ 1333 with a cpu temp under test conditions of 53C.

Aunty Em

I read the bumph that came with the prog and it says that errors usually show up almost immediately or after several hours and recommends running the test for between 6 - 24 hrs. I have to go out about 10am tomorrow and don't like leaving my computers on when I'm not here so it'll get about 18hrs which should be fine.

Hopefully there won't be a problem

yea, 24hrs is just rounding off to a day :D 18 is fine i usually do about 17-19 myself. Really annoying when you hit that 16hr mark and bam it goes yellow, REAAAAAAALLLLLLLY annoying :D
Lets hope you don't get prime 95 rage as i do many times :lol:

agw_01

Nice overclock you got going there :) Good old chips those TBirds aint they... I think I might have to get myself one to play around with.

Good luck with pushing it further.

Aunty Em

Well, the test is finished with no errors or warnings. So it's quite happy running at 1333 MHz (fsb133/33 x 10) @ a cpu temp of 42 - 43C.

I ran all the bench tests in SisSandra and it performed pretty much as expected for an AMD 1.33. And I also ran a 3DMark2001 test in which it doubled it's performance over the last time I ran it... taking into account of course that it only has an ATI Rage Pro 128 installed.

Anyway I've reined it back to 1200 this morning to give it a rest. I don't know if I'll be able to push it much further as it only has generic PC133 Ram installed and I have no idea what make they are. But I'm very happy with what it's done anyway considering this is my first ever OC. :D

Aunty, i you're doing it on default voltage then theres no need for rests, you're simply unlocking potential of the chip (i.e its architecture can withstand 1.33Ghz with ease and its stepping was actually built for making 1.3Ghz+ chips, yours was just downbinned to meet the market for 1Ghz chips). You can probably get 1.4Ghz+ @ 1.8v or so and theres really no danger to the chip, it'll work for just about as long as it would now then it would at 1000MHz. If you're going to go from multiplier now only then overclocking faster won't affect the RAM one bit.

Aunty Em

It's already working on a VCore value of 1.81. Although in the BIOS it says 1.75 - SisSandra, MBM5 and Hardware Doctor all record it at 1.81. All the same I increased it to1.8 (1.86) in the BIOS and x 10.5 but the stress test still refuses to run... :shrug:

I think 1.33 is as far as it's going to let me go safely, but really I'm very happy with that as it's done pretty much what I wanted it to - achieve 1.33 or 1.4. The temperature also went up to 50C, whereas under the stress test, which I'm running again it's 51C.

Keep it at 1.33, seems rock stable there, if prime 95 did'nt fall it you're more or less guranteed. Most mobos overvolt a slight notch plus hardware monitors are not 100% accurate, so 1.81v might be an overestimation, but i won't worry one bit if its accurate, the T bird core can take up to 1.85-1.9v usually with no ill effect on a very long term (very near to if not normal life expectancy) basis, overclocking is not a dangerous thing once you get the fact that in most cases its just unleashing potential and not stressing (stressing is like 2v+ on a water or phase change cooling unit :D) the cpu really.

Aunty Em

The stress test decided to drop out last night with a fatal error, so I've increased the voltage to 1.775 in the BIOS which is reading as 1.82 on MBM5, and am running P5 again. I like it rock solid.... chances are it's never going to be stressed as much as the test is doing anyway because I don't play the type of games or run the type of programmes that are likely to do that.

I'm intersted in the stuff you're selling on HWC, btw. :)

Winky

Most likely not, that would be horribly date hardware by now.

Core duo 2's are so bloody awesome!