OK, so maybe I was wrong about this Harper guy

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
We's going to WAR!!!!!

against bush?!?! oh shit

New Canadian PM rebuffs US envoy

Mr Harper criticised opponents for anti-US positions during the election
Canadian Prime Minister-elect Stephen Harper has defended plans to send military ice-breakers to the Arctic in defiance of criticism from Washington.
US ambassador David Wilkins said on Wednesday that Washington opposed the plan and, like most other countries, did not recognise Canada's claims.

Mr Harper said his mandate was from the Canadian people, not Mr Wilkins.

Mr Harper's Conservatives have promised to defend Canada's northern waters from claims by the US, Russia and Denmark.

The party won a narrow victory over the outgoing Liberal administration in Monday's election, but failed to secure an overall majority.

'Non-existent problem'

The Conservative plans include the construction and deployment of three new armed heavy ice-breaking ships and an underground network of listening posts.

It is the Canadian people we get our mandate from, not the ambassador of the United States

Stephen Harper

The BBC's Lee Carter in Toronto says Canada has only recently woken up to the fact that, with global warming being blamed for melting ice in the Arctic, the so-far-mythical northwest passage, which could link the Atlantic and the Pacific, may in fact become a reality.

But the US has challenged Canada's claims, saying that it considers much of the region to be international waters.

Ambassador Wilkins described the Canadian position as creating a problem that did not exist, prompting an angry reaction from Mr Harper.

"The United States defends its sovereignty, the Canadian government will defend our sovereignty," he said.

"It is the Canadian people we get our mandate from, not the ambassador of the United States."

Mr Harper had criticised election opponents for attacking the US in a bid to win votes.

I LOVE this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Tell that to the Security Council. They threaten to send us, dressed in UN drag.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
paul_valaru said:
Just cause they are there does not give blanket rights to impose on anothers culture or soveirnty

Strange. I don't remember the UN ever asking the US to stay out of anything except the current situation. I don't recall Canada objecting, either. Maybe we weren't 'elected' to be the worlds police, but who else is going to do it? We didn't choose to be the worlds police force, but the UN made it necessary.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Imagine this scenario...

Iran is on the verge of aquiring nuclear weapons. They've threatened to obliterate Israel, driving the Jews into the sea. Then they'll turn their sights on controlling Europe.

Who ya gonna call? Argentina?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
Strange. I don't remember the UN ever asking the US to stay out of anything except the current situation. I don't recall Canada objecting, either. Maybe we weren't 'elected' to be the worlds police, but who else is going to do it? We didn't choose to be the worlds police force, but the UN made it necessary.

you didn't choose...of course you did

your administarion did what it wanted, and screw the rest of the world, I am jsut glad that this new PM instead of cowtowing like we thougth he would is saying screw you. makes me warm and fuzzy on the inside.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
Imagine this scenario...

Iran is on the verge of aquiring nuclear weapons. They've threatened to obliterate Israel, driving the Jews into the sea. Then they'll turn their sights on controlling Europe.

Who ya gonna call? Argentina?

no..the UN

N not S

Gato_Solo

paul_valaru said:
no..the UN

N not S

And the UN security council will call on the US. All we did is eliminate the beaurocracy. Complain all you like, but the UN has always called on the US whenever they needed a stick. Not the Soviet Union. Not China. Not Canada. We're the global police because the rest of the world set us up to do that role. Now, when will Canada beef up it's military to take on said role? :rofl4:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
paul_valaru said:
no..the UN

And who is the muscle for the UN?

oh...and for the record, I think it's a good thing you guys get somebody with some cajones too.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
And who is the muscle for the UN?

oh...and for the record, I think it's a good thing you guys get somebody with some cajones too.

it's all good to be the muscle, but wait till commisinor Gordon uses the bat-signal

Gato_Solo

paul_valaru said:
it's all good to be the muscle, but wait till commisinor Gordon uses the bat-signal

Ahh...so the US is not allowed to have interests outside of a UN mandate...interesting.

BTW...shouldn't you lot be picking on the Danes? :rofl2:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
Ahh...so the US is not allowed to have interests outside of a UN mandate...interesting.

BTW...shouldn't you lot be picking on the Danes? :rofl2:

well no one else is supposed to, outside their own country that is

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
paul_valaru said:
well no one else is supposed to, outside their own country that is
WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED
to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and
to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and

to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and

to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

AND FOR THESE ENDS
to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and

to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and

to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and

to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples,

HAVE RESOLVED TO COMBINE OUR EFFORTS TO ACCOMPLISH THESE AIMS
Accordingly, our respective Governments, through representatives assembled in the city of San Francisco, who have exhibited their full powers found to be in good and due form, have agreed to the present Charter of the United Nations and do hereby establish an international organization to be known as the United Nations.

article 2.4
All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

Professur

paul_valaru said:
I LOVE this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now you know why noone really gives a shit when you start whining about election results. Couple of days back you and Nixy were moaning about how it was the end of Canada. Now you love him .... after one bloody decision. And you expect to be taken seriously???