Okay,so maybe Macs aren't that bad

A.B.Normal

Re: Okay,so maybe backs aren't that bad.

Dangs title shoulda read "Okay,so maybe Macs aren't that bad." can someone change it.:retard:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Nifty little trick. Not that you can't get the same functionality on a regular windows or Linux machine thou ;)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The part I find interesting about Mac OS X is that so many nifty/useful/helpful features like this are an integrated part of the operating system, rather than a third party addon. Windows has all sorts of useful stuff you can install on it, but what if you don't know about it in the first place?

That was my favorite part of Ubuntu, as well, things like not having to install a piece of software just so I could burn a DVD - it already came with the necessary software installed

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The part I find interesting about Mac OS X is that so many nifty/useful/helpful features like this are an integrated part of the operating system, rather than a third party addon. Windows has all sorts of useful stuff you can install on it, but what if you don't know about it in the first place?

Things may have been added until the justice dept decided that Microsoft was just too big. They forced third party assistance. Apple hasn't been so scrutinized & penalized.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Apple didn't make it impossible to remove it if you didn't want it, unlike Internet Explorer :p

JJR512

Nifty little trick. Not that you can't get the same functionality on a regular windows or Linux machine thou ;)

True. Although I would have said "features" instead of "functionality" because "functionality" seems to imply that the feature actually functions. For Windows, this is far from the near-certainty that it is for Mac.

I am viewing this site and typing this reply on a Mac because I finally gave up on Windows for exactly that reason. I tried to upload photos to a Microsoft website through Microsoft software running in a Microsoft browser on a Microsoft operating system. After over two hours of downloading and installing the Microsoft software that was supposed to let the Microsoft browser upload photos to the Microsoft website, and redownloading and resinstalling and restarting, I got fed up, turned off the computer, and bought an Apple MacBook Pro.

On that Mac, I had the photos organized into albums and uploaded in less than five minutes (not including photo file transfer times). (The results can be seen here if anyone is interested.)

Inkara1

Oddly enough, I never seem to have problems uploading stuff to my photobucket or coppermine photo galleries via firefox.

BlurOfSerenity

i <3 my maccy. *huggggs it close*
windows pc's just frustrate the living hell out of me now.
i continue to maintain that the only failing of the mac, in my eyes, is that there is no program like mspaint that i know about.

justin: hey, i'm in there!
and holy crap at the basic membership price! i want one :(

fury

Administrator
Staff member
They all come with a multi-button mouse now, called the Mighty Mouse. It has one of the best scrolling devices I've ever seen, a little mini-trackball where the scroll wheel is on other mice - for 360 degree scrolling. :beerbang:

Also, on the notebooks, they can be set up to use certain finger gestures on the touchpad to act as your right-click equivalent. (e.g. tapping with two fingers as opposed to one finger when you want to right-click)

JJR512

i <3 my maccy. *huggggs it close*
windows pc's just frustrate the living hell out of me now.
i continue to maintain that the only failing of the mac, in my eyes, is that there is no program like mspaint that i know about.

justin: hey, i'm in there!
and holy crap at the basic membership price! i want one :(
Membership price for what? If you're referring to .mac it was $10 with purchase of the computer, and my understanding was that's the regular annual rate. Not bad at all.

Agree with the 2-button mouse comments. The Mighty Mouse (both wireless and wired) don't actually have separate buttons on top. Rather, they just have a smooth surface, and the entire shell clicks down when you press on it. You're supposed to leave a finger on either the right or left side of the trackball, and the mouse detects where you're touching when you press down on it and determines if you left-clicked or right-clicked.

The Mighty Mouse, in my opinion, is one of Apple's least useful products. If you have a light hand and hold the mouse with your fingers, not actually resting your palm on it, it might be OK. But if you rest your palm on it, then because the whole shell clicks down, and there's a very weak spring inside holding it up, it's very easy to accidentally click it. Also, I have found that it does not always correctly determine if you're right- or left-clicking, especially in games (I've been playing World of Warcraft on the Mac).

I like the trackball concept in place of a scroll wheel, but for my personal anatomy, the one on the Mighty Mouse is a bit too small. I'd probably like it to be about double its current size. But because it's free to move in any direction, it can be difficult to scroll straight down if that's what you want to do.

The finger gestures on the trackpad of the Mac laptops is fine for basic right clicking. It's not so great if you need to hold the right mouse button down while simultaneously moving the pointer (again, such as in WoW), but if you need to do that, you're probably using a separate mouse, anyway. For simple right-clicking, using the two-finger-tap is nearly as easy as middle-finger-clicking a mouse's right button.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. If they had a mighty mouse with discrete buttons and a slightly bigger testicle, it'd be nearly perfect.

Inkara1

The iMac I use here at work came with a "mighty mouse." I could never get it to notice I was trying to right-click (plus, truthfully, Apple mice haven't been comfortable to use for the past decade). I found a basic Logitech optical two-button scroll mouse sitting around in the office and have been using that with good results. It actually does notice that I'm right-clicking instead of left-clicking and that makes me a lot more productive when I'm laying out pages in Quark.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. Could also be the settings...I think the newest version of Mac OS X defaults them to just single button mode, and you have to specifically set it up to use more than one "button"...at least that's what I had to do on my Hackintosh.

I really like this mouse though, despite the button weirdness. It's the smallest mouse I've been able to use that didn't require a dongle, so it packs easily. My tablet already has bluetooth integrated, and I've tried other bluetooth mice but none of them actually synched up with my machine as well as this one. (Ironic, isn't it? an Apple mouse works best on my PC...)