Old man

PostCode

Major contributor!
He's close to twenty years old now. He's probably the most loving cat I've ever had around, heck, he even shares his bed with us. But he's dying. He's really skeletal, with his ribs showing, his bones in his legs showing, his back bones showing. He can't gain weight and has probably lost a third of his weight in the last two weeks. He fell down yesterday just walking.

The dog has taken up with him too. She has been cleaning him constantly and, surprisingly, Felix has been letting her do it.

I called the Doc and setup an appointment next Tuesday to have him put down. I never thought is would hard to ask a Doctor to put a cat down.

felix.jpg

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I know it is hard to put them down.

Is there no way to improve his health? The problem sounds liver related.

K62

I know how you feel.

I have a 15 year old dog that probably on her way out... I think she is pretty blind, doesn't hear too well.. and she has occasional seizures. She does not seem like she is in any pain at all though, in fact I don't think she feels much at all.

Uki Chick

So sorry to hear that. :crying4: Sounds more like it may be kidney related. They tend to start losing alot of weight when the kidneys aren't functioning properly. It's not an easy thing to do, but it's worse to watch them suffer. You're doing the right thing.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
20 years is pretty old for a cat. You're doing the right thing, I know it's not easy but the poor old guy will be better off than living in pain for the rest of it's life.

Stop Laughing

I'm sorry. He knows it's for his own good too, they always do. :(

He's real cute. Am I close in guessing that you named him Felix because the Felix cartoons were black and white?

Mare

:crying4: So Sorry Posty.....He is such a pretty kitty too....Will be thinking of you and say a prayer for ya's!:sadhug:

PostCode

Major contributor!
Well, tonight about an hour, maybe two, ago, Felix passed away. I went to check onhim and saw that his stomach was no longer rising and falling. We put him in a box and buried in out in the backyard. My daughter, who buried my cat, Oscar, is pretty shook up over it. She doesn't want to get another cat.

Anyway, at least now I don't have to have him put down.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Stop Laughing said:
I'm sorry. He knows it's for his own good too, they always do. :(

He's real cute. Am I close in guessing that you named him Felix because the Felix cartoons were black and white?

No, he and Oscar were named after the two in the Odd Couple.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PostCode said:
Well, tonight about an hour, maybe two, ago, Felix passed away. I went to check onhim and saw that his stomach was no longer rising and falling. We put him in a box and buried in out in the backyard. My daughter, who buried my cat, Oscar, is pretty shook up over it. She doesn't want to get another cat.

Given the options, this one is better. Keep yer chin up Posty.

BlurOfSerenity

:sadhug: i feel for you, my fiance had two cats, chocolate and sugar, they were sisters, and he's had them for 21 years. earlier this year sugar had a problem with her leg and she had to be put down. chocolate seems to be getting about near there hereself.
but 20 years is ancient for a cat. felix lived a very long life. but still... :sadhug:

FluerVanderloo

I really know how you feel, a similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Losing a pet is never easy, especially when you've had it for so long.

I'm very sorry. :sadhug:

chcr

Too cute for words
PostCode said:

I never know what to say. I have a cat that's getting on up there and I really don't want to think about it, you know. Sorry to hear it PostCode, hang in there.