OM (nonexistent) G!!!!!!!

chcr

Too cute for words
Not only is he teechin our chilluns witchcraft but he's a godless heathen too!

Daniel Radcliffe said:
I’m an atheist, but I’m very relaxed about it. I don’t preach my atheism, but I have a huge amount of respect for people like Richard Dawkins who do. Anything he does on television, I will watch.

Oh, the horror.

There we go … that’s half of America that’s not going to see the next Harry Potter film on the back of that comment.

He's got that right. :rofl:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm religious, as you well know. I also know that Harry Potter is fiction. I read the first three books. I also read D&D fantasy books and Sci Fi. Difference is...I know fiction isn't reality. So do most people. What you have is a few ultra-conservatives who want to dictate how God is worshipped to everyone else. Every religion has a few of those nuts in their midst. Even the non-religious and atheists have a few nuts in their folds as well. The problem is that those few are the most vocal...;)

catocom

the main problem I have with the potter movies is the misrepresentation
of what most real wizards are.

catocom

real wizards are people that are tops in their fields.

like scientists are wizards of science.
Good mechanics are wizards of mechanics.

Wizards are simply people that know things that most others don't, and
thus to some, what a wizard does in his respective field could appear
to be as of magic or some such.

Magicians, if good, are wizards of illusion...

Some wizards have several specialties.

MrBishop

That's more of a left-over from the 'witchcraft/magi8c' usage tho'

They're so good at something that it's almost like they're doing magic.

catocom

in my religion witchcraft and so called magic, are abominations.

When you get into the spiritual realm, aside from God, you are damning your soul, or at least playing with fire.

MrBishop

What about Tarot, Horoscopes and Palmistry?
A great deal of people follow those 'religiously'..so to speak.

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm religious, as you well know. I also know that Harry Potter is fiction. I read the first three books. I also read D&D fantasy books and Sci Fi. Difference is...I know fiction isn't reality. So do most people. What you have is a few ultra-conservatives who want to dictate how God is worshipped to everyone else. Every religion has a few of those nuts in their midst. Even the non-religious and atheists have a few nuts in their folds as well. The problem is that those few are the most vocal...;)

I suppose that most people understand this. How do so many of the nutjobs get air time? (That was a rhetorical question, BTW)

Atheist nutjobs???? Perish the thought. ;)

I think it was Robert A. Heinlein who said that a sufficiently scientifically advanced society would be indistinguishable from magic.

Gato_Solo

I suppose that most people understand this. How do so many of the nutjobs get air time? (That was a rhetorical question, BTW)

Entertainment value? (rhetorical answer, BTW)

chcr said:
I think it was Robert A. Heinlein who said that a sufficiently scientifically advanced society would be indistinguishable from magic.

Yes it was. Can't exactly remember the novel that was in, although I'm fairly sure it wasn't in any of the 'Ringworld' series...

catocom

What about Tarot, Horoscopes and Palmistry?
A great deal of people follow those 'religiously'..so to speak.

meh, gotta watch out out for anglers.

I'm more into how the universe lines up, and the gravitational pulls.
(astronomy and effect)

Probably the first time I have fully agreed with you.

Hey has anyone read Orson Scott Card's "Ender" series? I think the concept of the speaker for the dead is a marvelous one! If you have not read them they are great sci fi novels in my opinion.

chcr

Too cute for words
Probably the first time I have fully agreed with you.

Hey has anyone read Orson Scott Card's "Ender" series? I think the concept of the speaker for the dead is a marvelous one! If you have not read them they are great sci fi novels in my opinion.

Well, in fact I have. I found the two ("Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead") I read horrifyingly bad. Contrived and not very intelligently written, IMO. I didn't finish the second. I would never have started the second if someone who's opinion I respect hadn't told me I would like it more. I suppose if we all liked the same stuff life would be pretty boring.

BTW, Card is a complete asshole. Note that this in no way precludes him from writing a good book.

Sorry, note that I am not only yet another asshole, but an opinionated one as well. ;)

Gato_Solo

Well, in fact I have. I found the two ("Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead") I read horrifyingly bad. Contrived and not very intelligently written, IMO. I didn't finish the second. I would never have started the second if someone who's opinion I respect hadn't told me I would like it more. I suppose if we all liked the same stuff life would be pretty boring.

BTW, Card is a complete asshole. Note that this in no way precludes him from writing a good book.

Sorry, note that I am not only yet another asshole, but an opinionated one as well. ;)

I actually enjoyed "Ender's Game". Found it to be well put together from a military standpoint. "Speaker for the Dead" was, basically, Ender's guilt trip for the genocide...

chcr

Too cute for words
I actually enjoyed "Ender's Game". Found it to be well put together from a military standpoint. "Speaker for the Dead" was, basically, Ender's guilt trip for the genocide...

Plenty of people did, just not my cup of tea.