ON guns. Intresting link/survey included

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I don't live in the states, so there is no right to bear arms here.

I think the gun problem is a snowball affect, the more guns owned, the more guns stolen.

I have a pathological hatred of firearms, more to the point I have a pathological hatred for people who are careless with their firearms.

I know that 99% of gun owners are safe, and follow the rules, it's the 1% that terrify me, and make me beleive that guns should be banned.

The second amenment isn't to clear on the matter itself

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It is open to interpitation, does it mean that you can have a gun if your in the militia? Or you can have a gun in case they need a militia?

I know the states will NEVER ban gun ownership, but I do hope they make the laws stricter, with trigger locks, etc. and I hope anyone breaking these rules will have their right to own guns revoked.

Then you are no better than a common criminal. You proscribe murder for someone who is exercising their constitutional right. If it was free speech, I'm sure your answer would be different.

yes that comment of mine was out of line

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
paul_valaru said:
I don't live in the states, so there is no right to bear arms here.

I think the gun problem is a snowball affect, the more guns owned, the more guns stolen.

I have a pathological hatred of firearms, more to the point I have a pathological hatred for people who are careless with their firearms.

I know that 99% of gun owners are safe, and follow the rules, it's the 1% that terrify me, and make me beleive that guns should be banned.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It is open to interpitation, does it mean that you can have a gun if your in the militia? Or you can have a gun in case they need a militia?

I know the states will NEVER ban gun ownership, but I do hope they make the laws stricter, with trigger locks, etc. and I hope anyone breaking these rules will have their right to own guns revoked.

yes that comment of mine was out of line

Define 'Militia'. Better yet, I'll give you the definition found on-line...

mi·li·tia ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-lsh)
n.
1. An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.
2. A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency.
3. The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service.

Source

Now...according to the above definition number 3, which is what the term meant to the framers of the constitution, anybody over the age of majority, who is eligible by law for military service, can be classified as part of a militia. Nowhere does it state 'National Guard', which is, in it's current state, a recent invention. In fact, the earliest 'National Guard' was composed of private citizens who owned guns, and grouped together to provide common defense.

Here is a link explaining the history and usage of the 'National Guard'.

Oh...one more thing...1% of automobile drivers are reckless, should all cars be banned?

Professur

MrBishop said:
If you're unarmed...there is no gunfight. You lift your hands up, give them what they ask for and the chances of survival are 99.99527%

Then explain that hole in the floor, and the burn mark on my jacket. Oh, and the burnt hair.

AnomalousEntity

paul_valaru said:

They terrify me to. I agree stricter punishment should be implemented for negligent gun owners. They should at least prove they were under lock in key if minors were going to be around.

"The right of people to keep and bear arms"

Seems pretty clear to me. I believe the term "militia' refers to armed citizens who would be willing and able to use their weapons for self defense and in defense of their coummunity or country.

Trigger locks are already sold with every hand gun. The permit to carry concealed requires a pretty comprehensive class and very extensive back ground checks. I think the lock and key is only necessary around minors. I also think for the liscensed CCW people, they need to relax the list of places they are not allowed to carry, including the work place. Again, imposing such laws only ensures that the law abiding citizens wont be carrying...it does nothing to stop the criminals.

AnomalousEntity

Gato_Solo said:
Oh...one more thing...1% of automobile drivers are reckless, should all cars be banned?

YES, THE NUMER OF DEATHS CAUSED BY CARS IS EXPONITIALLY HIGHER THAN DEATHS CAUSED BY GUNS. BAN ALL CARS AND STOP THE MADNESS!

After all, a gun can be used to SAVE A LIFE. You cant use a car to save a life unless you are trying to get to the hospital.

Millions will be late to work? Oh whaaaa.. Small price to pay for all the lives saved right??

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
cars vs. guns

Cars are meant as trasportaion, etc

guns are meant to kill, they are designed to wound, kill and maim (I know the same can be said of some SUVs, lol)

handguns, they are meant to kill people, I have only seen one revlover meant for hunting

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
AnomalousEntity said:
YES, THE NUMER OF DEATHS CAUSED BY CARS IS EXPONITIALLY HIGHER THAN DEATHS CAUSED BY GUNS. BAN ALL CARS AND STOP THE MADNESS!

After all, a gun can be used to SAVE A LIFE. You cant use a car to save a life unless you are trying to get to the hospital.

Millions will be late to work? Oh whaaaa.. Small price to pay for all the lives saved right??

What we have here is...failure to communicate.

Gun ownership-Right under the 2nd amendment
Driving a car-Priviledge granted through the state

That aside, ever hear of Vehicular Homicide? Please, tell me that you think all cars save lives. Tell me that the small percentage of deaths per year with a gun is more important to you than the other ways people kill each other. Don't believe me? You can look up the statistics yourself.

PROBLEM: Knives kill more people per year than guns.

SOLUTION: Ban all knives except those used by licensed chefs. That'll solve those pesky murders.

PROBLEM: Poisoning kills more people per year than guns.
SOLUTION: Ban all private ownership of heavy metals such as lead and arsenic. Ban all plants that are poisonous.

Sounds silly, but once you start down that path of banning something just because it can be used to kill, you put yourself in a position of being just that. Silly. If you don't feel insulted, then perhaps I'm getting through to you. If you do feel insulted, then I apologize, but my feelings on this are quite firm. I don't own a firearm, and I've never owned anything more powerful than a 45# recurve bow. That doesn't mean I have the right to deny anybody else the possibility of owning one. If you set yourself up as the moral authority, then you've already set yourself up for failure.

AnomalousEntity

paul_valaru said:
guns are meant to kill, they are designed to wound, kill and maim (I know the same can be said of some SUVs, lol)

That is technically incorrect. Guns (including hand guns) is a tool designed to launch a bullistic projectile and cars are a tool designed to provide locomotion. Either can be misused to wound, kill or maim. Both also have legimitate purposes such as target shooting, hunting, personal protection, transportation etc.

You could use anything and say it was designed to "kill". Knife, axe, picture of Rosane Bar.

From what I understand...OT central can also be fatal. :lol2:

AnomalousEntity

Gato_Solo said:
What we have here is...failure to communicate.

I was being sarcastic to prove a point: Guns are the escape goat to societies larger problems.

People dont want to have to actually deal with the social issues, lack of nuclear families, break down of ethics and morals, poor socioeconomic status, growing disrespect for the law.

So for many "socially lazy' people....its much much easier to just pick a target like guns...and scape goat that is the evil. Whether the scape goat is actually the reason for the problem (and its painfully obvious that it isnt...none of my guns have gotten up by themselves and killed someone)...

Well that bit of common sense doesnt matter. They like to think that by some "magical act" criminals wouldnt be criminals without guns...negelecting the fact that their political views have just stripped the elderly, weak, handicapped, and female populations of the only reliable (and effective) source of personal protection that was available to them.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I think we will all have to agree to disagree on this point.

uhmm, hasn't this stayed on topic to long, isn't that against the rules.

and question, is it true you can buy guns in the states like at a walmart?

AnomalousEntity

paul_valaru said:
I think we will all have to agree to disagree on this point.

uhmm, hasn't this stayed on topic to long, isn't that against the rules.

and question, is it true you can buy guns in the states like at a walmart?

Long guns like shotguns yes.

Not handguns though. The background checks required for hand guns is usually too much for a wal mart to handle.

Some of the larger sporting good stores do occassionally sale hand guns when they are properly set up to do the back ground checks

I would officially like to take this opportunity to say Im sorry for all the typos in this thread...I cant type or spell..

ris

we've been down this subject a few times and the thing i think is most pertinent is that there is little or no correlation between gun law, extent of ownership and the levels of violent gun related crime.

there are plenty of societies with relaxed gun ownership which appear to have a problem with gun crime [take mexico, for example, or some might even say the us]. equally there are those countries with relaxed laws and a much lower crime rate involving guns [switzerland].
we have countries with tight laws and little crime and countries with tight laws and an increasing gun problem [some might point at the uk, which has seen an increase in recent years].

the truth of it is that gun crime is predominantly a cultural issue. canada and the us sit side by side and both have good accessibility to firearms. canada's homicide rate is considerably lower than the us' though.

i see no reason to own a firearm unless i was going to be regularly hunting or shooting, and even then a long or large bore gun would be the inevitable and realistically only option. but then i am in the uk, which for all its increases in gun related crime is still a place for which most ordinary citizens need not carry a small sidearm and are legally prevented from doing so.
i am fairly certain that cultural reasons are the most likely for the increases in gun related crime in the uk over the last 5 years and see no reason to bow to the paranoia that the media and other sources promote daily to persuade me i am living in a lawless country and that i need a firearm.

in this country, at this time, i don't.

rrfield

Listen: I live in America. I do not own a gun. I do not want to own a gun. I do not need to protect myself with a gun. And so on.

The biggest crime that has been commited against me happened a few months back. Actually, it did not happen to me, but my car which I own, 100%. Someone smashed in my front passenger window, but they did not steal anything from my car. The same thing happened to my neighbor. So it goes. A gun would not have protected me or my car. This was a random act of drunkedness (sp?).

rrfield

P.S. Gun's don't kill people, Don kills people.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Guns & cars are good tools.

People are dangerous. Use a car or a gun to kill the dangerous & we're all safe.

Mirlyn

Aunty Em said:
Erm...what exactly is it? ?(

5.5' blow dart gun. Spade and needle points from 4" to 6" plus slugs. Separates in the middle for dual-action (has an extra mouthpiece). :D

It takes skill to use one and be good at it. I'm not that great at it. :lol:

Aunty Em

Mirlyn said:
5.5' blow dart gun. Spade and needle points from 4" to 6" plus slugs. Separates in the middle for dual-action (has an extra mouthpiece). :D

It takes skill to use one and be good at it. I'm not that great at it. :lol:

I thought it was something like that.

Slugs eh, must get a bit slimey... :lol:

I can see why it would be difficult to control. :)