Once again, Democrats stand in the schoolhouse door.

jimpeel

Where is George Wallace when you need him?

I guess Obama, who is against the program, doesn't want his kids going to the Sidwell school with a bunch of Black riff-raff. Wouldn't want to expose them to real life, now, would we.

SOURCE

Democrats Block GOP Bid to Extend DC Vouchers

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:33 PM

WASHINGTON -- Senate Democrats have dealt a setback to a Republican-sponsored school voucher program that gives schoolchildren in the nation's capital the chance to attend private schools.

The Senate voted 50-39 along mostly party lines to reject a bid by Nevada Republican Sen. John Ensign to extend the program beyond the 2009-2010 school year. That leaves in place a provision contained in a huge spending bill that requires Congress and the Washington, D.C. government to re-approve the program. Republicans say that is likely to kill it.

About 1,700 mostly low-income and minority students kids receive the $7,500 vouchers, which offer an alternative to the troubled D.C. school system.

The White House is not fond of the program but issued a statement saying currently enrolled kids should not have their educations disrupted.

© 2009 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If the Democrats fixed the problems they've been promising for 60+ years...they'd be out of a job.

spike

If the Democrats fixed the problems they've been promising for 60+ years...they'd be out of a job.

Even more true for Republicans.

jimpeel said:
I guess Obama, who is against the program, doesn't want his kids going to the Sidwell school with a bunch of Black riff-raff.

Because if the vouchers are extended that's what would happen. C'mon Jim think a little bit.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Even more true for Republicans.

The Republicans have promised to get government out of the way. They've fulfilled that, several times, only to be turned back by the next wave of lefties.

spike

Oh really government completely got out of the way.? :laugh:

Too bad things the Democrats have fulfilled have been turned back by the next wave of righties. imagine.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The only restriction was on who funded the research. If it is so promising, let Merck pay for it.

Inkara1

Reversin restrictions on Stem Cell research was a recent one.
I seem to remember seeing a story posted that part of the omnibus spending bill is a ban on federal funding of "research in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed, discarded, or knowingly subjected to risk of injury or death." Just like before... jut two days after he "lifted" that ban.

Well if as you say Gonz goverment has no business funding things it doe,s then I would think you would realize they have no business funding school vouchers at all, ever. If you want your kid to go to private school, pay for it, don't expect the government to when the government already provides public schools. No way in hell they should ever fund indigents to go to private schools, go get a better job if it's that important.

Cerise

I seem to remember seeing a story posted that part of the omnibus spending bill is a ban on federal funding of "research in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed, discarded, or knowingly subjected to risk of injury or death." Just like before... jut two days after he "lifted" that ban.

Ah, yes. The ol' Dickey-Wicker amendment. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Well if as you say Gonz goverment has no business funding things it doe,s then I would think you would realize they have no business funding school vouchers at all, ever. If you want your kid to go to private school, pay for it, don't expect the government to when the government already provides public schools. No way in hell they should ever fund indigents to go to private schools, go get a better job if it's that important.

The federal gov't has no business funding public schools either.

All I can really say is I would hate to live in "Gonz's ideal America", and I could just about guarantee, almost everyone else would feel the same if it actually somehow came to pass, most likely most of the people with his viewpoint would change their tune real quick once they realized the full implications of such a world. Thank god there is no chance it will ever actually happen.

Oh and just because I know you will want to don't go and ass/u/me that I would want the other extreme either, same goes for it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
"Gonz's ideal America" was what we are inteded to be. From the start, our government was written & directed to give power to the people. It was inteded to have local government run those above them. A city should have more authority than a state. The state, more than the feds.

The Civil War began increasing the power of the federal gov't. Incrementalism at its finest. Suddenly, we have the feds telling the states that their speed limits must be 55 or they won't get tax dollars. Tax dollars than came from the states.

The American standard is one of individualism. Get the barriers out of the way & allow the individual to prosper, or fail. You want a publically funded school? Great, go to you city or county & petition them. Don't go to Uncle Sam & have him force regulations on your municipality. Regualtions that may not make sense.

Stand on your own two feet. Make your own way. Live or die by your wits & skills. We did it for over a hundred years. Now, people can't even buy a friggin toilet unless some beauracrat has okayed it.

That is control that we don't need, control that has hampered our growth & abilities and control that is destroying us.

Roads, stamps & armies. Let the people do the rest.

spike

States provide most of the funding, and pay for the actual benefits provided to workers; the federal government pays only for the administrative costs to the states of running the program

http://www.cbpp.org/12-19-02ui.htm

Employers pay a tax to help fund it but I'm betting your checks came from the government. So basically you were taking a handout from the government payed for by tax dollars similar to welfare.

Doesn't really fit with your "Stand on your own two feet. Make your own way. Live or die by your wits & skills" you'd have to add "except when it's not convenient for Gonz" to the end of that.