Online college degrees

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I am asking this because I don't know the answer, and living/working where I do my resources are a tad limited in some arenas.

I've heard folks say that online degrees, like that University of Phoenix we all see pop-ups for everywhere, are becoming more acceptable in the world of work. I know more colleges and universities are offering online courses that supposedly carry the same weight a traditional degree would. Some of you are in positions in the workplace to know more about this than I do. I'm considering going after my Master's degree, and online would be a blessing for me due to the travel time involved...not only for the classroom but for the library time involved.

Is it true that these degrees are now becoming respected by more companies? Enough so that it'd be worth the trouble to get one?

2minkey

bootlicker
i'd immediately dismiss a resume listing an online degree, but, then, academic pedigree is important in my line of work. other industries may not be as snotty, still an online degree still idn't gonna carry the same weight. obviously, bigger name school means less of a handicap from online.

if it's a pure formality - i.e. simply having any masters means potential for higher pay grades in a civil service type job - an online may work out for you.

that being said there are a zillion programs where you can complete a shitload of "telecourses" and/or attend at local "extension centers." so you'd be having to take some tradtional courses, but you'd have a "real" degree. unless you're looking at an MBA. they don't teach nothin' real in that curriculum.

kuulani

I'm not sure about it being more respectable at the work place, but I teach a few online course for our college. It helps a lot of people who are unable to attend a "traditional" lecture in a classroom.

Inkara1

I think it depends more on the school being accredited, etc. than specifically "online," especially since most major online universities in the US also have actual campuses with people that attend them. University of Phoenix and University of La Verne are two that immediately come to mind.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
My nephew is getting his masters in business (he had a degree in science). It's from Ball State. 90% of his work has been "telecourses". As a working adult, it's easier.

It depends on the school.

chcr

Too cute for words
My nephew is getting his masters in business (he had a degree in science). It's from Ball State. 90% of his work has been "telecourses". As a working adult, it's easier.

It depends on the school.

Dara did the same at MTSU when she got her Bachelors degree several years ago. She had been an Associates degree RN before. She's going to start doing the same again to get her Masters starting next fall.

2minkey

bootlicker
Well, I'd say you were pretty sheltered then, minkey, as some of the best reputations ARE from online schools, such as the British Open University. I'm sure you yankees have yer equivalents.

i'm not sure we do, if indeed this BOU has a stellar reputation. if i saw "university of pheonix" on a resume, sorry charlie, you ain't in my consideration set.

hmmmm i wonder how many good MDs come from online study. anybody wanna volunteer as patient?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
i'm not sure we do, if indeed this BOU has a stellar reputation. if i saw "university of pheonix" on a resume, sorry charlie, you ain't in my consideration set.

hmmmm i wonder how many good MDs come from online study. anybody wanna volunteer as patient?

I would, but you wouldn't hire me on principal, anyway. :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It'd have to be an actual well respected brick and mortar accredited school offering online full courses as well as their usual full courses. Not just some place that's offering short courses i.e. be a Vet in 3 months!!11!

I looked up University of Phoenix to make sure what I knew about it was right - take a look at the Critiscism and Controversies sections and at the citations - that's kinda what we're saying. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix

markjs

Banned
Seems to me the U of P might be a good thing. While it is not accepted totally, if you want to do the learning I am sure it's as good of a way as any. It's one of those things that will take time for people to fully accept it. You have to take into consideration the factors involved in the criticism and controversies. The low graduation rate is obvious. People just have a hard time being self motivated and don't finish. The fact that it is online, and people will erroneously assume it is therefore easy, is another factor. I imagine if you aren't interested in your subject matter and aren't highly motivated to learn, then it is MUCH harder than a "brick and mortar" school. From what I read there though, and having a brain to think it through, I personally, if in a hiring position, would be eager to give a U of P student who graduated with high marks a chance. They would likely be self motivated and interested in their field.

You also have to figure that schools on the public level are just babysitting institutions and it seems most Americans anyway need that to continue into higher education to succeed. The whole system needs an overhaul, but to my mind U of P is a step in the right direction.

A big part of peoples problem with U of P is most likely a combination of factors but primarily just jealousy. Someone who hasn't done a U of P course, or at very least a video course at a "brick and mortar" school, is going to assume that their education is superior because they had to attend on a schedule, and because that is what school is traditionally looked at as. Factor in also, that people are inherently "conservative" fearing change and shunning evolution. The fact of evolution on a technological level is a fact that everyone can see clear as the nose on their face.

The thing is, I see evidence of species evolution right in front of me. Take for example the emergence of "ADD". It is being looked on by the older generation as a disability, when it's a simple evolutionary response. The older generation doesn't understand it because they fear change and because it doesn't apply to them or their generation. The fact is though it is simply an natural evolutionary response to a changing world in which technological advances outstrip peoples ability to "train themselves" to adapt. The average "christian's" refusal to believe that God could not have designed all the species of the universe to have the ability to evolve and adapt, is to me, tantamount to trying to dumb god down to a level that is more human than godly.

I imagine me supporting the U of P, will kill your interest SnP (since I seem to be in your mind the antithesis of all you find to be "good right and true"), and it's your loss if it does, but I tend to think about these matters on deeper levels than most people, perhaps beyond your comprehension, even when I am miserably sick with flu and below 100% capacity. :rofl: *puke*

2minkey

bootlicker
Seems to me the U of P might be a good thing. While it is not accepted totally, if you want to do the learning I am sure it's as good of a way as any. It's one of those things that will take time for people to fully accept it. You have to take into consideration the factors involved in the criticism and controversies. The low graduation rate is obvious. People just have a hard time being self motivated and don't finish. The fact that it is online, and people will erroneously assume it is therefore easy, is another factor. I imagine if you aren't interested in your subject matter and aren't highly motivated to learn, then it is MUCH harder than a "brick and mortar" school. From what I read there though, and having a brain to think it through, I personally, if in a hiring position, would be eager to give a U of P student who graduated with high marks a chance. They would likely be self motivated and interested in their field.

You also have to figure that schools on the public level are just babysitting institutions and it seems most Americans anyway need that to continue into higher education to succeed. The whole system needs an overhaul, but to my mind U of P is a step in the right direction.

A big part of peoples problem with U of P is most likely a combination of factors but primarily just jealousy. Someone who hasn't done a U of P course, or at very least a video course at a "brick and mortar" school, is going to assume that their education is superior because they had to attend on a schedule, and because that is what school is traditionally looked at as. Factor in also, that people are inherently "conservative" fearing change and shunning evolution. The fact of evolution on a technological level is a fact that everyone can see clear as the nose on their face.

The thing is, I see evidence of species evolution right in front of me. Take for example the emergence of "ADD". It is being looked on by the older generation as a disability, when it's a simple evolutionary response. The older generation doesn't understand it because they fear change and because it doesn't apply to them or their generation. The fact is though it is simply an natural evolutionary response to a changing world in which technological advances outstrip peoples ability to "train themselves" to adapt. The average "christian's" refusal to believe that God could not have designed all the species of the universe to have the ability to evolve and adapt, is to me, tantamount to trying to dumb god down to a level that is more human than godly.

I imagine me supporting the U of P, will kill your interest SnP (since I seem to be in your mind the antithesis of all you find to be "good right and true"), and it's your loss if it does, but I tend to think about these matters on deeper levels than most people, perhaps beyond your comprehension, even when I am miserably sick with flu and below 100% capacity. :rofl: *puke*

there is so much wrong with this post.

but since i don't hold any online type degree, obviously i'm not the super motivated go-getter that would post a point-by-point response.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
someone else quoting the speaker said:
I imagine me supporting the U of P, will kill your interest SnP (since I seem to be in your mind the antithesis of all you find to be "good right and true"), and it's your loss if it does, but I tend to think about these matters on deeper levels than most people, perhaps beyond your comprehension, even when I am miserably sick with flu and below 100% capacity.

Nah, I just think yer a general idiot. :D

I appreciate the feedback. If I end up doing this I'll likely investigate in-State universities that offer online course material. With the notable exception of the above expert, most of the info I've gathered tends to indicate that might be a better way to go.

markjs

Banned
there is so much wrong with this post.

but since i don't hold any online type degree, obviously i'm not the super motivated go-getter that would post a point-by-point response.

You are too establishment man, your kind is on the way out....thank god!

Down With The Man!

Professur

Um, I seriously doubt that the source of any degree is ever investigated, this side of medical certification ... and even then I'd only give it a 50/50 chance.

2minkey

bootlicker
Um, I seriously doubt that the source of any degree is ever investigated, this side of medical certification ... and even then I'd only give it a 50/50 chance.

are you kidding?

there's lots of employers out there that not only follow up on everything, they make you piss in a cup and do a credit check.

Professur

Mine never have. Perhaps I'm just more trustworthy looking than you. My last three hirings haven't even required my resume. I was hired on the spot, based on word of mouth and reputation alone.