online genealogy research

kuulani

I've been to http://www.familysearch.org and found some useful info there! (which suprised me 'cause my family isn't mormon).

Is there other genealogy research sites that you would recommend?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
kuulani said:
you're right about that ... they only have deceased people listed :eek:

:D

yes, i'm dead........i'm a ghost and sometimes i get into your dreams ;) :D :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Doesn't work for me either, tried it from home last night, and at work just a minute ago.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
try this one http://www.familysearch.org

kuu made a mistake by placing a comma just after the address, and most parsers include that in the URL.

*asking leslie to correct the link in kuu post*

*done*

Ardsgaine

I've used Ancestry.com before. You can buy the quaterly subscription and get all the useable information within a few weeks. Really, the best source of information is your state archives building. They'll have all the census data on microfilm. Of course, I'm not sure how much census data you can get on Hawaiian families since Hawaii isn't part of the US. :rolleyes: :p

kuulani

I wish I could go to the State Archives!! Sadly to say, it's on another island. One day, I'll make the trip there though to do some serious researching.

The Archives can only go so far too though, official records in Hawaii don't go that far back. When my grandparents got maried in the 40s, they first had to go have birth certificates made up 'cause they didn't have any.

Ardsgaine

kuulani said:
I wish I could go to the State Archives!! Sadly to say, it's on another island. One day, I'll make the trip there though to do some serious researching.

It's worth it. Most online census data is in the form of extracts. They contain only the name of the head of household and maybe the spouse, but not the children. The latter, though, is key information for tracing your lineage. I think there are some free websites that are getting the state census record images online, but it's an ongoing project that's far from complete.

Of course, there are people who've made their own genealogical research available online, but you have to take those with a grain of salt. People will often make unwarranted assumptions on scant evidence. I've found three different versions of my mom's family tree on her mother's side (Rowan). Unless they can show you the evidence, don't accept it as gospel until you've traced it yourself. On my father's father's side (Fincher), I was able to trace it back to my great-great-great-grandfather, Uriah, who came to Pike Co, GA from North Carolina. There was a whole clan of Finchers in Pike Co. at the same time who also came from NC and have been traced back to a line that goes back to England in the 1600s. I can't find any documented connection between Uriah and that clan, though, so until I do, it's not something I can claim. It could just be a coincidence that they ended up in the same place and had the same last name.

The Archives can only go so far too though, official records in Hawaii don't go that far back. When my grandparents got maried in the 40s, they first had to go have birth certificates made up 'cause they didn't have any.

I suspected that might be the case. Census data is only available up to 1930, because it has to be held for 70 yrs before being made public. I don't when Hawaii became an American territory and I don't know if it was included in any censuses (censi?) prior to statehood.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm just posting this so I can have all of the forums with my name on the index page. :D

kuulani

Ardsgaine said:

I suspected that might be the case. Census data is only available up to 1930, because it has to be held for 70 yrs before being made public. I don't when Hawaii became an American territory and I don't know if it was included in any censuses (censi?) prior to statehood.

Hawaii was overthrown in 1893 by US businessmen who were living here. The US President at the time didn't condone the overthrow but before he could do anything about it, a new pres was voted in. Too bad for us, life goes on.

I don't know if we were included in "censi" too :shrug: But I didn't realize that it must be held for 70 years. I wonder if I can look up my grandparents?

kuulani

Gato_Solo said:
I'm just posting this so I can have all of the forums with my name on the index page. :D

Ha, cheap thrills :p :D
I have my name on all the forums every day around 3pm (Hawaii time) :D