Open Season on Your Cat

Thulsa Doom

So they want to shoot your cat in Wisconsin. Have you heard about this? Some guy really doesnt like cats and is tired of seeing them in his yard. so hes trying to pass a petition in April that will allow people to shoot cats. His rational in proposing this is that they kill too many song birds but its interesting to note that hes on record for supporting a recent petition passed there calling for the shooting of mourning doves so seems a touch disingenuous. Have we really been reduced to a society where we can rationalize shooting each others pets because they walk through our yard? Or is this another one of those lazy man's hunter movements?

Cat Hunt

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Many states don't specifically exempt or protect cats. WI apparently does. Bob Barker kept warning us, didn't he?

[edit]Mourning Doves are delicious.

greenfreak

Here's a less opinionated article that focuses on facts instead of calling studies "pseudo-science" because the author doesn't agree:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=31029&ntpid=3

They're not talking about neighborhood cats with collars. They're talking about feral wild cats, there is a difference. The un-neutered cat and dog population in this country is out of control. Millions of unwanted pets across the country because people are too stupid or selfish to see the big picture and be responsible about pet ownership.

chcr

Too cute for words
greenfreak said:
They're not talking about neighborhood cats with collars. They're talking about feral wild cats, there is a difference. The un-neutered cat and dog population in this country is out of control. Millions of unwanted pets across the country because people are too stupid or selfish to see the big picture and be responsible about pet ownership.
That's the first thing I thought when I started reading this thread. Good point GF. It does worry me because you know there are already assholes around who think it's open season on your pets.

Oh, and Thulsa? Disingenuous? In this group? :D

greenfreak

How do the cat owners here feel about letting their cats roam wherever they want? I've never been a cat owner (allergic) so I don't know that I would do the same thing. I think it's irresponsible, but that's just me. I wouldn't let a dog roam around wherever he wanted, I don't think cats should either.

Starya

I used to be a cat owner. I could never imagine NOT letting that cat roam free. Mind you, I lived in a very rural area. I live in a small town now, and cats roam free here too.

Had I lived in a big city, and gotten me a cat, then I would perhaps have kept it indoors at all times. But they have to be used to it from the start then.

chcr

Too cute for words
My cats stay inside unless we're out to watch them. dogs are tagged but run free when we're home. We live in the country and they understand where the boundries are. In Tucson, I had a cat (it had me really) that ran free, but it wore a collar with a tag saying where it lived, etc.

Edit: All fixed, GF. I agree about responsible pet ownership.

Inkara1

The cats my family's always had have been indoor/outdoor cats. They roam as needed, and come home for food and attention.

Thulsa Doom

greenfreak said:
They're not talking about neighborhood cats with collars. They're talking about feral wild cats, there is a difference.

No they are talking about ANY cat that happens to walk into their backyard. Collar or not: “any cat not under its owner's direct control, OR which does not have a collar” If a house cat slips outside and walks ten feet onto your neighbors yard then you are free to shoot the cat. Thats ridiculous. Do you really think youll have hunting parties go drive out to the country looking for wild feral cats in the forest? No. They will be shooting cats in backyards. And what a great excuse to legally kill the cats of that damn neighbor who always puts their trash half way on YOUR lawn. All you gotta do is shoot em and throw away the collar and sit on your porch and smile every time they come out of the house for the next ten years. Maybe make a few meow sounds for full effect.

And you do realize there would be no size, season or bag limit on this. That means you could pick off kittens that come within your sites and youd be perfectly in the right despite the fact that kittens cant catch wild birds yet.

The un-neutered cat and dog population in this country is out of control. Millions of unwanted pets across the country because people are too stupid or selfish to see the big picture and be responsible about pet ownership.

So your solution is shoot the cats? What?? Theres a MUCH better solution to this which is trap-neuter-return by groups WILLING to do this kind of stuff for the welfare of the animals and for the good of society at large. Refusing to fund these groups and instead advocating shooting of any cat you see without a collar is simply disgusting. Groups like Alley Cat Allies have been advocating for this for years but they don’t get a whole lot of funding. Killing potential pets (and yes you will certainly have plenty of legitimate pets being killed if this goes through) should really not be acceptable. Would people be as inclined to not care if they said we should be able to shoot dogs too? Under the same conditions?

greenfreak

Thulsa Doom said:
No they are talking about ANY cat that happens to walk into their backyard. Collar or not: “any cat not under its owner's direct control, OR which does not have a collar” If a house cat slips outside and walks ten feet onto your neighbors yard then you are free to shoot the cat.
Why wouldn't a responsible pet owner provide their pet with a collar just for such circumstances? Why shouldn't cat owners be in direct control of their cat like all other pet owners are supposed to be? Too many cat owners don't exhibit any control over their pet. Mostly because they are lazy and see cats as low-maintenance animals that allow them to be irresponsible. I don't see why it's acceptable for your neighbors to deal with your pet in their yard.

Do you really think youll have hunting parties go drive out to the country looking for wild feral cats in the forest?
I don't recall saying that.

They will be shooting cats in backyards.
If the cats don't have collars, and that's where they go, you're right. They probably will.

And what a great excuse to legally kill the cats of that damn neighbor who always puts their trash half way on YOUR lawn. All you gotta do is shoot em and throw away the collar and sit on your porch and smile every time they come out of the house for the next ten years. Maybe make a few meow sounds for full effect.
Do you have some issues with your neighbor's garbage that we don't know about? :laugh:

And you do realize there would be no size, season or bag limit on this. That means you could pick off kittens that come within your sites and youd be perfectly in the right despite the fact that kittens cant catch wild birds yet.
Wild kittens grow into wild cats that kill wild birds. They learn when they're kittens. Get rid of the kittens and they won't breed more wild cats.

So your solution is shoot the cats? What??
Where did I say that it was my solution? I don't recall saying that either.

Theres a MUCH better solution to this which is trap-neuter-return by groups WILLING to do this kind of stuff for the welfare of the animals and for the good of society at large.
Where are they returning wild cats to? The wild? So they can continue to kill birds? How are stray cats with no owners helping society?

Refusing to fund these groups and instead advocating shooting of any cat you see without a collar is simply disgusting.
Who's refusing to fund them? Do you fund them? Do you volunteer your time or money, considering you feel so strongly about this?

Groups like Alley Cat Allies have been advocating for this for years but they don’t get a whole lot of funding. Killing potential pets (and yes you will certainly have plenty of legitimate pets being killed if this goes through) should really not be acceptable.
Potential pets? If you believe every stray or wild cat can be adopted as a potential pet, you have no idea how bad the overpopulation is.

Would people be as inclined to not care if they said we should be able to shoot dogs too? Under the same conditions?
No, because it is not "publicly acceptable" for a dog to roam around wherever they want. Dogs require more care and responsibility than cats do. Good dog owners are more apt to keep their animal indoors or on their own property, or at least put a collar on them. And I don't remember ever seeing a dog stalk and kill a bird.

Listen, I never said I agreed with what they're proposing. I'm playing devil's advocate because it's obvious that you're not considering the other side of the argument and posted an article that is extremely biased.

Here's what I really think. Cute furry animals or not, I think that cats should not be allowed to run around wherever they want. Whether they are pets or otherwise. If they are pets, they should have a collar even if they spend their entire lives indoors. I think a dinky collar is the least an owner can do. I think that since cats are self-reliant by nature, that they make a great pet for lazy people.

The overpopulation of cats and dogs is a problem, that we both agree on. But they have been doing the trap-neuter-adopt, education on what a pet-owner should be, spay/neuter campaigns, shelters that attempt to get these unwanted animals adopted for years and years and still the problem is as bad as ever. There needs to be a new idea. I'm not saying this is it, and I'm not saying I agree. I see merits on both sides of the issue.

Maybe if they do put this law into place, cat owners will be more responsible on what they allow their cat to do. And maybe the owners who don't really care all that much if their cat comes back from their daily jaunts won't have to worry about feeding it anymore. But what will definitely happen is that it will decrease the cat population, even if only in that state.

chcr

Too cute for words
And I don't remember ever seeing a dog stalk and kill a bird.

Umm... mine do it all the time. Since the only ones they can catch are starlings, I kind of tacitly cheer them on. They also keep squirrels and rabbits out of the yard. The smart birds know not to land in the part of the yard a dog is in. 90% of dogs are about two missed meals away from being wolves again. Cats and dogs are not about to stop killing and eating smaller, weaker or less cunning animals. You do it too. Where I live the coyotes keep the feral cat population down, we don't have to shoot them. We do have to shoot the coyotes occasionally though.

greenfreak

:laugh: I can just see 90% of the labs, poodles, and terriers in my neighborhood hunting for meat. That would be a sight. :)

I really don't agree with that estimate. I've been a dog owner and hope to be again soon, and my dog killed one robin in all those years. Hell, we had a pet squirrel and they were friends. I miss both of them.

If you're saying wild/stray cats and dogs will kill smaller animals, you're right. But I don't think there should be such a thing as wild cats and dogs.

Winky

sporter.jpg

overkill for small animals?

chcr

Too cute for words
greenfreak said:
:laugh: I can just see 90% of the labs, poodles, and terriers in my neighborhood hunting for meat. That would be a sight. :)

I really don't agree with that estimate. I've been a dog owner and hope to be again soon, and my dog killed one robin in all those years. Hell, we had a pet squirrel and they were friends. I miss both of them.

If you're saying wild/stray cats and dogs will kill smaller animals, you're right. But I don't think there should be such a thing as wild cats and dogs.

Terriers, for instance, were bred to hunt and kill rats. Wanna bet whether they remember how? Poodles are also good hunters (I've read) regardless of the silly haircuts. Mine are labs and I can walk out in the yard this minute (well, I could if I were at home) and find evidence of a minimum six kills. :shrug: Believe what you want about "domestic" dogs and cats, the evidence says otherwise. I agree that there is definitely a stray pet problem, and killing may be the only effective answer. No such thing as wild/stray cats and dogs? Be realistic, we aren't smart enough to make that happen. They'll be here long after we're gone.;)