Palin's grandson uses socialized medicine.

spike

For someone who once generated a national hysteria by claiming socialized medicine would bring about government-run "death panels" that would kill the elderly and children with mental defects, Sarah Palin seems remarkably calm, what with her grandson now facing the very same allegedly tyrannical construct, that is.

Yes, that's right: Sarah Palin, Alaska's former governor and a millionaire thanks to sales of her book, has a grandson whose health care is paid for by the federal government, according to newly released court documents.

The revelation was made in court documents filed Feb. 16, relating to the child support battle between Bristol Palin and Levi Jonson, available here [PDF link] courtesy of E! Online.

"The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care," Palin wrote on her Facebook page in mid-August. "Such a system is downright evil."

Her diatribe was actually a twisted interpretation of end of life care, a provision that would have paid for patients' counseling with doctors and attorneys on what they wish to be done on their behalf after death -- but that didn't stop Republicans the nation over from repeating the claim ad nauseam, seemingly undeterred by its transparent inaccuracy.
Story continues below...

levijohnsonbristolpalinbabytripp Court documents reveal Palins grandson uses socialized medicineSo far, that system of "downright evil" has provided comprehensive medical care for her grandson Tripp, paid for with federal dollars from the Indian Health Service.

Arguing that Johnson had not paid health insurance premiums for his son, lawyers for Palin's daughter wrote that exemptions claimed by Johnson's attorneys were invalid due to Tripp's health coverage by the IHS. The claim can be found on page eight of the court documents.

"There are two reasons why this request should be rejected," the lawyers wrote. "First, Levi has never paid for any health insurance. One cannot seek deduction for costs or support one has never paid. Second, this insurance is unnecessary. Tripp is an enrolled member of Curyung Tribal Council within the Bristol Bay Native Association consortium. Because the majority of Tripp's health care costs are already covered by IHS and the Alaska Native Medical Center, Mr. Johnston has no need to purchase additional health insurance and his deduction should not be allowed."

Because Tripp's grandfather Todd is descendant from the Yup'ik Eskimo, his children and grandchildren are registered with the Curyung Tribal Council, part of the Bristol Bay Native Association, and thus eligible for government-run health insurance through the Indian Health Service. All "lineal descendants" of Native enrollees are eligible for the program.

The health services are provided by law as a requirement of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act (IHCIA), passed in 1976. The Indian Health Service is overseen by the federal Department of Health and Human Services. Reauthorization of the IHCIA had stalled during President Bush's terms and the group has lobbied President Obama to work with them on reforming the legislation and ensuring its reauthorization.

"We recognize that there is a national need for health care reform," The National Indian Health Board wrote in an open letter [PDF link] dated June, 2009. "However, as frequently noted, the United States is the only developed country that does not guarantee health care coverage for all of its citizens. The irony of reforming health care is that it means more to Indian people than fixing a broken system. Compared to what we were promised, health care in Indian Country is an atrocity; funding for health care that does not adequately provide quality health care for our people, substandard health conditions due to government inefficiency, and pitting Tribe against Tribe for construction, maintenance and repair of health facilities, just to name a few."

While the Tribes' complaints certainly ring similar to other rational concerns about the possibility of socialized medicine, it is a far, far cry from the nightmare scenario Palin invented to describe Obama's health reform proposals. The revelation that her own grandson benefits from such a system would seemingly leave one to wonder why Palin, a woman of such wealth and affluence, would not just pay for private insurance instead of entrusting her grandson's health and well-being to a group she unwittingly called "downright evil."

http://rawstory.com/2010/02/child-support-subpoena-reveals-palins-grandson-on-socialized-medicine/?

MrBishop

...why Palin, a woman of such wealth and affluence, would not just pay for private insurance instead of entrusting her grandson's health and well-being to a group she unwittingly called "downright evil."

'cause she's a liar and too stupid to hide the lies properly? In other words, an ineffective politician.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Words can not describe how hilarious I find this news. :lol:

I don't find it hilarious at all. Tragic, yes, but hilarious, no. Look at it another way...since the person who posted this is all for socialized medicine, why should she foot the bill for her grandson? Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the child's parents first and foremost?

responsibility

MrBishop

hmmm.... wonder if what's wrong with Palin's grandson is the same as what's wrong with her last 'son'

valkyrie

I don't find it hilarious at all. Tragic, yes, but hilarious, no. Look at it another way...since the person who posted this is all for socialized medicine, why should she foot the bill for her grandson? Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the child's parents first and foremost?

responsibility
What is hilarious is Palin's acceptance of a socialized medicine equivalent for her grandson without even a whimper of disapproval.
comeuppance
The responsibility of the child's health (and health insurance) is on the parents (both). I expect trailer-park-Bristol to get a j-o-b as well as the deadbeat dad, trailer-park-Levi.
responsibility

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
What is hilarious is Palin's acceptance of a socialized medicine equivalent for her grandson without even a whimper of disapproval.
comeuppance
The responsibility of the child's health (and health insurance) is on the parents (both). I expect trailer-park-Bristol to get a j-o-b as well as the deadbeat dad, trailer-park-Levi.
responsibility

So if its Bristol and Levi's responsibility, how is it the fault of Palin? Don't get me wrong...I do not like Palin at all, but put blame where it belongs...

MrBishop

Not sure where you were going with this one. Sorry. :shrug:

Palin's last son Trig has Downs
Palin's first grandchild Tripp has some unstated illness requiring regular support.

A while back, it was questioned whether Palin's son Trig was actually Bristol's son. Perhaps the two are brothers and not uncle/nephew.

:shrug:

A quick question to go with it, is what exactly does Levi do to earn him in excess of $100,000/year?

valkyrie

So if its Bristol and Levi's responsibility, how is it the fault of Palin? Don't get me wrong...I do not like Palin at all, but put blame where it belongs...
I never said she was to blame. Not for her underage daughter having unprotected sex and getting pregnant. Nor for her underage daughter's former boyfriend not paying for private health insurance for Palin's grandson.

What I found amusing is that Palin screamed bloody murder over the made up "death panels" of a federal health benefits system yet she allows her own grandson to use a federal health benefits with not even a whimper of protest. If she truly believed that a federal health benefits system was the pure evil system that she claimed it to be she would fight tooth and nail to keep her grandson out of it. Even if that meant lending her granddaughter the cash to take the baby to the doctor.

But she didn't... and foolishly she thought that no one would notice just another welfare baby in the clinic.

valkyrie

Palin's last son Trig has Downs
Palin's first grandchild Tripp has some unstated illness requiring regular support.

A while back, it was questioned whether Palin's son Trig was actually Bristol's son. Perhaps the two are brothers and not uncle/nephew.

:shrug:

A quick question to go with it, is what exactly does Levi do to earn him in excess of $100,000/year?
Well, it's quite possible. I'm sure Palin has pictures of herself bloated with pregnancy to establish motherhood.

valkyrie

"We used to hustle over the border for health care we received in Canada," Palin said in her first Canadian appearance since stepping down as governor of Alaska. "And I think now, isn't that ironic?"
Wow... :lol: ... she's either got some balls or she is incredibly stupid.

What am I saying... she's stupid.

Cerise

I remember my brother, he burned his ankle in some little kid accident thing and my parents had to put him on a train and rush him over to Whitehorse and I think, isn’t that kind of ironic now.

Hmm. As a young child it is quite possible Palin had ZERO to NO influence over where her parents took their kids for medical care. :rolleyes:

LOL @ libruls grasping at straws because they are afraid of Sarah.

:rofl3:

spike

Her parents probably went for the best healthcare they could get and Palin seems happy for it.

It is ironic because she tried to fear monger people against this type of healthcare when her family has a history of using this type of healthcare.

There's no reason to be afraid of Sarah. She just makes it so easy to make fun of her. She doesn't even have much support in her own party anymore. Most republicans don't even think she is qualified for a presidency let alone the best choice.

valkyrie

Her parents probably went for the best healthcare they could get and Palin seems happy for it.

It is ironic because she tried to fear monger people against this type of healthcare when her family has a history of using this type of healthcare.

There's no reason to be afraid of Sarah. She just makes it so easy to make fun of her. She doesn't even have much support in her own party anymore. Most republicans don't even think she is qualified for a presidency let alone the best choice.
:lol: I second that! :lol2:
There's no reason to fear Palin... we just need to let her talk and she'll do herself in politically (and anyone else she's paired up with). :evilgrin:

Too bad the Republicans don't have faith in Palin anymore. It would have been hilarious to watch her total epic fail in 2012. :rofl: