Pasta Italiano

Sharky

When you're burned out from turkey and Thanksgiving leftovers, how about some homemade pasta sauce?

Pasta Italiano

1 pound small shell pasta, or whatever pasta blows yer skirt up

1 1/2 lbs. Italian sausage, hot or mild (I use the bulk sausage from Hillshire Farms)

1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

1 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms (this looks like a lot, but they cook down significantly)

3 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano

1 large can of whole peeled Roma or plum tomatoes, drain, reserve juice

In a large lightly oiled dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute sausage, breaking it up. Use olive oil for extra flavor. If sausage is oily, drain before adding veggies. When sausage is almost done, add green pepper and saute for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Add tomatoes, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 to 1 hour, or as long as you wish (I let it slow simmer for hours), breaking up the whole tomatoes. Add a little juice from the whole tomatoes if it gets too thick. Optional: toss in some sliced grilled Italian sausage as sauce simmers.

Prepare pasta according to package directions, toss pasta with a cup or so of sauce, then add as much sauce as you desire and toss.

Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmagiano Reggiano or Romano cheese if desired.

To me, this sauce tastes even better after being refrigerated at least overnight and gently reheated.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I wish I knew of some pasta good enough to blow my skirt up! :lloyd:

Not a fan of sausage, but I'm making this one tonight - we'll see how it goes.

Italian Crock pot Chicken and Potatoes

Ingredients:
  • 1 26 ounce can of spaghetti sauce
  • 1 cup of cleaned chopped portabella mushrooms
  • 1 pound of cubed boneless skinless chicken breast (cubed pork may also be used)
  • 1 8 ounce bag of shredded mozzarella cheese (fresh mozzarella may also be used)
  • 6 red potatoes washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • ½ cup of chicken broth
  • ¼ cup of diced onion
  • 1 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
  • ¼ cup of chopped red pepper
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 palm full of fresh chopped basil
Preparation:
  1. Combine chicken broth, spaghetti sauce, potatoes, onion, red pepper, crushed tomatoes, basil, chicken and mushrooms into a slow cooker. Stir to mix all ingredients.
  2. Cook in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
  3. Add the ½ of the mozzarella cheese (4 ounces) and gently stir.
  4. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and parmigiano-reggiano cheese and serve immediately.
Tips to make the Italian chicken and potato roast even better:
  • Serve over warm toasted Italian or sour dough bread. Add a dash of parsley to make this dish an attractive meal at any dinner party.
  • Serve over whole wheat pasta, traditional pasta or gnocchi to turn this meal into the perfect Sunday dinner.
  • Turn the leftovers into a chicken and potato Italian sandwich. Drain the majority of the thin juice. Place on toasted sour dough bread, add mozzarella cheese and a dash of fresh basil. Bake until the cheese is melted.
  • Serve over ready made garlic croutons.

2minkey

bootlicker
rusticella makes some very nice pastas. they are made with really good flour and water, and brass dies, which leave a fairly rough surface that soaks up flavor way more than krap conventional factory pasta. there of course is better, but this stuff is really good for everyday uses.

GrandCaravanSE

I had a sweet idea last night, i took bulk sausage from the back of the store, and formed them into burgers, i put a slice or motz cheese and a little bit if sauce and it was sooooo good. and yes i cooked the sausage.

Antonio1

Hey dear. Pasta is my favorite food item. You have done a great job. All ingredients are good and the method is also good. I will try this recipe soon.