Percent of adults who are overweight or obese by state

chcr

Too cute for words
So what was the bit about government contolled rations?

Careful, soy products make you gay. It's clearly a gubmint plot.

Edit: BTW, I'm 5'6", weigh almost 240 lbs. and can run three miles in under thirty minutes (my personal yardstick and not very much under). I have a 49" chest and a 38" waist. I don't do sit-ups for speed but I do 100 five times a week. I'm not so sure about pushups, I do two sets of 25 before I do the sit-ups but I could do more. Just for informations sake I consider myself fat and out of shape.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
5'10", 230...when I was at my adult fittest, I was around 145lbs. There is very little I can't do now that I could do then. It just hurts more now.

spike

How does being overweight or obese affect a person’s health?

When people are or overweight or obese, they are more likely to develop health problems such as the following:

* Hypertension
* Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
* Type 2 diabetes
* Coronary heart disease
* Stroke
* Gallbladder disease
* Osteoarthritis
* Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
* Some cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)

The more overweight a person is, the more likely that person is to have health problems. Among people who are overweight and obese, weight loss can help reduce the chances of developing these health problems. Studies show that if a person is overweight or obese, reducing body weight by 5 percent to 10 percent can improve one’s health.

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/faq.htm#how

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
120/72, heart rate of 68...the Pepsi will cause the diabetes.

I don't want to die of nothing. :shrug:

chcr

Too cute for words
5'10", 230...when I was at my adult fittest, I was around 145lbs. There is very little I can't do now that I could do then. It just hurts more now.

Everything hurts more now. :shrug:

An interesting contrast in body types though, when I was really fit (2.2% body fat) I weighed 190. :shrug:

Oh, 120/70 (on meds) and I already got the diabetes (caused by beer I suspect) and I expect the heart attack to kill me. I've been warned. :D Nobody lives forever.

Edit: On a more positive note, my last cholesterol test (two weeks ago) was lower than it's been in ten or more years.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Everything hurts more now. :shrug:

An interesting contrast in body types though, when I was really fit (2.2% body fat) I weighed 190. :shrug:

Oh, 120/70 (on meds) and I already got the diabetes (caused by beer I suspect) and I expect the heart attack to kill me. I've been warned. :D Nobody lives forever.

Edit: On a more positive note, my last cholesterol test (two weeks ago) was lower than it's been in ten or more years.

Whoops. I forgot my weight...175 to 183, depending upon what scale and how much clothing.

My last BP was 117/68 and my resting pulse was 52 BPM...I'm such a pig...:mope: ;)

RDX

I'm surprised how little spread there is between the states: 51% for the lowest to 65% for the highest. If you looked at the number of people who are only obese, I would venture to say that the spread would probably increase. I too am considered overweight by the BMI standard: 6'6" at 235lbs. Normal for my height is given as 160 to 215 lbs. 50%+ of people being overweight/obese isn't hard to believe with these numbers. I'm not in top shape, but if I were anywhere close to 160lbs, it would be a sorry sight indeed.

BB

er, what's all that weight in stones?

chcr - i am guessing that current irish Av is a self portrait? :D

j/k

BB