pointless architecture of the week

ris

this is mainly for puter, whose kind help in answering my questions on iowa have helped me a lot in sorting out this design, but goes to anyone who's heard my musings on this on msn or wherever :)

this will hopefully be my competition entry to the ames powerstation 'landmark challenge', assuming i get the photomontages, sketches and elevations sorted and printed in time to be posted to the us.

here are some photos of the little model i made to explore the ideas in the design.

Attachment(s):

ames_small01.jpg, 44.63kb

14_1036447713.jpg

ames_small02.jpg, 54.96kb

14_1036447742.jpg

ames_small03.jpg, 68.99kb

14_1036447779.jpg

Jeslek

Banned
Hm... my first thought was "where are the sheep?" Now I'm not sure what to make of it.... Its rather odd I think. Very interesting to say the least.

this will hopefully be my competition entry to the ames powerstation 'landmark challenge'
OK I must say, those fit this description perfectly. Now I know I'm just a stupid kid but it seems rather landmarkish to me... ;)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
LastLegionary said:
Hm... my first thought was "where are the goats?" Now I'm not sure what to make of it.... Its rather odd I think. Very interesting to say the least.

this will hopefully be my competition entry to the ames powerstation 'landmark challenge'
OK I must say, those fit this description perfectly. Now I know I'm just a stupid kid but it seems rather landmarkish to me... ;)

Looks like LL is back on the 'goats' dick. Poor lad. :D

ris

hehehe, little does ll know that here in wales we have sheep101 in all courses, first year first semester. ;) :D

Jeslek

Banned
My coworker is staring at the picture now, uttering "WTF is that?" I'm also unsure what way to perceive it.... ris, what are you trying to communicate if you don't mind me asking? I'm not an art type, and I don't always see what people are trying to say with their art. :)

Hyphen

What can I say.... After the Millenium Dome :rolleyes: anything is an improvement. I Don't see enough engaging or challenging architecture outside of cultural centres of interest and London..... and lets all say it again: London is not the only city in (what is a tiny country) Britain.
P.S. Whats Cardiff Uni like?? And where can I get an interview for sheep101......baaaaaa

*shivers*

ris

its fairly simple once explained. the balsa is the existing power-station. the black mesh boxes are my interventions. the small box is provisionally called 'capture tank' and sits above the exhaust towers. the second is larger and called 'shielding', it's role is purely to give the fairly haphazard form of the main body a clear, simple form.

the notion is that from a distance the building appears a clear two-box form, while up close the building itself is more visible. the boxes are made of perforated steel sheets, anodised black and pinned back to the existing building.

there is a whole underpinning of semi-theory archi-bollocks that supports the use of the forms but it's all a but pretentious. :D

ris

Hyphen said:
What can I say.... After the Millenium Dome :rolleyes: anything is an improvement. I Don't see enough engaging or challenging architecture outside of cultural centres of interest and London..... and lets all say it again: London is not the only city in (what is a tiny country) Britain.
P.S. Whats Cardiff Uni like?? And where can I get an interview for sheep101......baaaaaa

*shivers*

lets all play in the teflon tent :rolleyes:

cardiff uni is pretty good, depends on the course you do [there are some brilliant quality courses] but the city is nice, compact and got a lively night-life. sadly, for architecture, london is the place to be so that's where i'm trying to end up. got an interview tomorrow in fact but ames is too new to make the portfolio

ris

i should add hyphen, tell me where you are and i might be able to recommend some good modern stuff near you. of course what i like might not be up your alley but it beats the wimpey home crapola.

Hyphen

I'm about 40miles NE of London (near Oxford), and the only things of vague interest are the 70's Multi-storey carparks..... argh :(

I was trying to end up in London until I found all the wads of cash I don't have were missing ;)

ris

mmm, 70s multistotey car park.... mmmm :nuts2:

j/k

thinking as of now, it might take me a day or two :)

Hyphen

MMMMMmmmmmmmmzzz.....

Blue Leany...... Heady heights of blue, glass, and leaniness, all just whipped into a stunning piece of twiglet shit..... :clap:

Hyphen

:hangman:

but twiglet shit is still an acceptable term *stamps her foot stubbornly*
Besides i've never seen you actually consume twiglets :p