Poll: Do you think your represented equally to other races?

Are You Equal Represented Compared To Other Races or Sexes?

• 1 Very Much

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 2 Somewhat

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • 3 Not at all

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 4 I hate everyone and should only get rights!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chcr

Too cute for words
drkavnger99 said:
I bet ya most will say no! Please if you have the mind state why!

You're right, but for the wrong reasons, I think. I'm caucasian, that gives me a lot of advantages in America. I am generally more represented than other races.

chatty kathy

NO!

I have busted my behind ever since I was 13, Others sit back and get what they want when they want it! Just like the Miss America Pagent...other races are allowed to enter it but yet there is a Miss Black America Pagent! I dont feel this is fair....If Blacks and others are allowed in the Miss America Pagent then why have their own????

drkavnger99

I posted this for one reason.. I am trying to show that everyone is discriminated in one way or another and that there really is not much of a picked on minority. I find most of the discrimination these days comes from within rather than the outside! If you'd like me to explain more of what I'm talking about ask otherwise I'll save some space on the boards!

Ms Ann Thrope

I'm a Caucasion female, and recognize the fact that I've had advantages African Americans have not.

Related to your question, possibly: are you familiar with the experiments conducted in 1946 by Mamie Phipps Clark with her husband Kenneth? the following quote is from this site: http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/mamieclark.html

Mamie's research involved a coloring test and a doll test. Three year old Afro-American children were given a sheet of paper with the drawings of an apple, a leaf, an orange, a mouse, and a boy and a girl. They were also given a box twenty-four crayons with the colors brown, black, yellow, white, pink, and tan. Mamie would then ask them to pretend that the little girl or boy was them, and to color the picture the same color they were. After the child responded, Mamie would ask the child to color the opposite gendered picture the color they want it to be. The results proved Mamie's suspicions. All Afro-American children with very light skin colored the picture correctly. Most of the darker skinned Afro-American children colored the picture with yellow or white crayons. Some children even used red or green. Mamie concluded that the children's choice of inappropriate colors indicates emotional anxiety in terms of the color of their own skin; that because they wanted to be white, they pretended to be (Clark 1944).

In the coloring test, children were shown a white doll and a black doll. They were asked simply, which doll they preferred to play with. Over half of the children rejected the black doll and preferred the white doll. The children were first asked to give the experimenter the colored doll, and then the white doll. This way, Mamie could be sure that the children could identify the difference between the two.

drkavnger99

Ms. said:
Related to your question, possibly: are you familiar with the experiments conducted in 1946 by Mamie Phipps Clark with her husband Kenneth? the following quote is from this site:

Times have changed though IMO I'm not sure that relates but thanx for posting it!

Ms Ann Thrope

I guess my point was oblique. :shrug: The feeling I have is that as a society we associate "white" (read Caucasian) with "good" and "desirable."

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
drkavnger99 said:
I posted this for one reason.. I am trying to show that everyone is discriminated in one way or another and that there really is not much of a picked on minority. I find most of the discrimination these days comes from within rather than the outside! If you'd like me to explain more of what I'm talking about ask otherwise I'll save some space on the boards!

I'm interested, post more

AlphaTroll

I'm a white female and yes I have had certain priviledges in the past (though I was really too young to gain direct advantage from it). But in the current situation in SA I'd dare to say that representation leans heavily in favour of previously disadvantaged people.

A few examples I can think of are affirmative action, land restitution acts and certain tax laws.

drkavnger99

paul_valaru said:
I'm interested, post more

You asked for it :)

From my observations it seems that ppl discriminate on more than one level. Take the blacks (no offense to them) here in minnesota I see them fighting among themselves about "how black they are" then you have the "Africans vs the Liberians" here too. I've also come to the conclusion that discrimination does have its place! (no I'm not some neo nazi) But I believe in co-ed public bathrooms does anyone else? Now back to the point.
Minorities are just that because they choose to be most of the time. I know many ppl who are from so called minority races and you know what they don't represent themselves that way and then there are the ones that do. Half the time gripe about how they were allowed to do it in their home country so they should be able to do it here. Integration into a nation doesn't mean having to "become the white man sort of thing" ,but why not if you live here follow the rules that are inherint with being a citizen and not gripe when/if you get cited for breaking those rules.
I do think that to an extent that racisim is over emphazied just in general and most of the time over compensated. Every person gets discriminated against from the use of affirmative action to womens rights to (whatever you call male rights). I realized another thing also as I have said I work for IBM and we are contracted to work for American Express. It's 90% women working for american express in their customer service departments... is that discrimination or not?
My generation has been brought up to fear minorities and not because they are scary evil ppl but because if you say something inheritantly neutral most ppl can twist it into something offensive. The affirmative action groups have made it impossible for equal rights to occur nowadays. They no longer have a common sense approach to things IMO take the whole trent lott controversy last year. He gives a farewell party for a beleagured collegue and suggesting the nation would have been better off had Thurmond been elected was twisted to say he supported Thurmonds past support of segregation many moons ago!
I could go on forever about this subject because there are so many examples of discrimination and whats being called reverse discrimination that it makes ones head spin if they get too into it!

freako104

i voted for very much but thats because whites do have a lot in their favour. but I think it should all be equal. I think blacks, biracials, asians, hispanics and everyone should have representation that suits them to their liking

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Mexican here, you are either a nice person or not, smart or asshole, literated or ignorant, we don't give a toss about your race.

IDLEchild

freako104 said:
but I think it should all be equal. I think blacks, biracials, asians, hispanics and everyone should have representation that suits them to their liking

You are just idealizing here. There is no such thing. What one minority likes the other has conflicts with.

Minorities are just that because they choose to be most of the time. I know many ppl who are from so called minority races and you know what they don't represent themselves that way and then there are the ones that do.

Good point. A lot of minority workers and students get pigeonholed because they let them selves be victims of self-fulfilling prophecy stemming from sterotypes. It is getting to a point that those sterotypes are becoming sort of expected pseudo-racial gender roles.

I have busted my behind ever since I was 13, Others sit back and get what they want when they want it! Just like the Miss America Pagent...other races are allowed to enter it but yet there is a Miss Black America Pagent! I dont feel this is fair....If Blacks and others are allowed in the Miss America Pagent then why have their own????

Try being a minority for a few years and re-evaluate your statement highlighted in bold.

Half the time gripe about how they were allowed to do it in their home country so they should be able to do it here.

These types annoy me to no end. Those that sit here and go on about what a marvel of society their nation is yet they very much enjoy the benefits here. Go to your country then, if it is such an epitomy of civilization.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I don't understand the question. I think I know what you're after. There are far too many variables. As a boring old white guy I suppose I'm represented. We are also the only group that EVERYBODY can use as a scapegoat. Black women, white lesbians, Asians, Arabs, white guys, the whole lot. At which point I like to point out if I Ted Danson can't go in black face to a party with his black girlfriend then drop us from the "OK to joke about list".

This is aimed at the AMericans but from what I've seen in my travels, it would be true almost everywhere:

Life's a bitch...get tough or die.