Poor unc...

unclehobart

I almost wonder if thats too downtown. One almost ends up surrounded by bankers and lawyers buildings. How far is it to the chemist? groceries?

BeardofPants

As you can probably see from the pic, we're pretty much surrounded by other heritage buildings w/ the exception of the library across the road, and a smallish scraper across from the shared public space. Chemist: 1 minute. Groceries: 10 minutes to the bottom of Queen Street.

Slim Pickens

As you can probably see from the pic, we're pretty much surrounded by other heritage buildings w/ the exception of the library across the road, and a smallish scraper across from the shared public space. Chemist: 1 minute. Groceries: 10 minutes to the bottom of Queen Street.

You live across the street from the library??? That's AWESOME!!!:hairbang:

BeardofPants

Hahaha. Yes, and yes it's awesome that we are surrounded by a library, a vintage cinema, a park & several art galleries. :love:

unclehobart

You get a pass since you're +17 hours or so up the road. I wouldn't expect the Chinese to get many Irish jokes either.

Here's an NZ joke for you that only half makes sense to me:

You owned a 3 storey house and rented the top floor to the Maori's, the middle floor to the Pakeha's and used the basement as a Rumpus room. One day, there was a massive earthquake and your house collapsed. Who survived???

The Pakeha's, because they were All at work.

I dunno what a pakeha is... but i'm sure that the joke is *wink wink* bigotry.

Inkara1

I don't think you need to know what a Pakeha is to figure out the joke implies the Maoris don't work. A different way to tell it would be: If you don't want a Maori to find his paycheck, where would you hide it? Under his work boots.

Inkara1

I checked wikipedia... a pakeha is a fair-skinned New Zealander, of British or European descent. It's also used sometimes to describe any non-Maori New Zealander.

So it sounds like the same kind of joke a white guy in the US would tell about a Native American.