portugal´s pinto suspended after punching ref

ris

portugal's pinto suspended after punching ref

portugese player joao pinto has been suspended from all football until fifa decide on his final punishment after video evidence showed he punched referee angel sanchez during the portugal v south korea group match last week.

it happened during the melee that followed the his sending off after he crudely tackled a south korean player.

fifa action may also be taken against portugal captain fernando couto after he clearly manhandled the referee.

more here

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
ohhh man....

can they hit the referee after the game is over? (without punishment) :D :D

ris

in the tunnel, no. in the pub after, who knows... :D

actually, the rules state that no player may touch the ref or the assistants during the game. in the premiership a few years ago a player pushed the ref over and got a 10 match ban or something.
in the premiership if a player touched the ref the way couto had he'd have been sent off there and then.

ris

i haven't seen it, do you think he'll get a lennox lewis undisputed champion fight? ;)

Berserker

I think the reason why the player punched the ref is becasue the ref has been bought by the South Korean and his decision seems to bias against portugal....Just look at the match against Italy...Toti got a red card and that referre from Equador got a lot of accusations later for his judgement..... :grumpy: