Price Of Movies Piss Me Off

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i think theatre's sound is shitty, even on THX certified theatres, the only thing i like about theatres is the big screen. i prefer the sound quality you get watching the film in your house.

if i go to a theatre is because i can't wait til the movie is available for rent/sale or because i'm going on a date with a girl.

Hyphen

For me a Movie is not just about the sound or picture quality (which is notoriously shitty in small town cinemas :grumpy: ) but about the entire experience of actually getting off my arse and having the popcorn, spending time with friends and putting my judgements on a another film down to experience........
Home is great and thats just for me, but the cinema is for my mates.
All Bum Chums ahoy.

Luis G

Staff member
yeap, the cinema is just to hang out, the best experience is at home.

greenfreak

I don't know what kind of system you have at home, but my house will never compare to a theatre. Well, unless we come into gobs of money and my boyfriend gets his dream stereo system!

The theatre I go to has Digital Surround Sound-I just remembered that because there were only a few theatres in NY that had it when Star Wars Episode II came out in DSS. I would have never known about DSS had it not been for that, I just know it sounds damn good. :D

Jeslek

Banned
Luis G said:
i think theatre's sound is shitty, even on THX certified theatres, the only thing i like about theatres is the big screen. i prefer the sound quality you get watching the film in your house.

if i go to a theatre is because i can't wait til the movie is available for rent/sale or because i'm going on a date with a girl.
Come to Toronto and I will show you a theater that isn't a big screen TV with speakers ;)

THX certified cinema, with SDDS and/or DSS, .... *drool*

Gaunt

I live basically in the middle of nowhere but we pay 6-7 dollars for a movie. I never get food there though, if I want it I smuggle it in. Muhahah... :D

Luis G

Staff member
LastLegionary said:
Come to Toronto and I will show you a theater that isn't a big screen TV with speakers ;)

THX certified cinema, with SDDS and/or DSS, .... *drool*

Luis G said:
i think theatre's sound is shitty, even on THX certified theatres

Omniscreens have a surface of 260m^2 and 70mm film, plus the silly THX certified sound.

image is great, but i still feel the sound shitty.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
99 cents on base. :p The large, family of six sized, bucket of popcorn and the drink-till-your-eyeballs-float drink combo is $4.50.

Jeslek

Banned
Luis G said:
image is great, but i still feel the sound shitty.
You can buy desktop speakers with THX logo on it... THX only means it conforms to certain standards, not power... Still, come to Toronto ;)

Luis G

Staff member
i'll go to Toronto someday, although i'd not waste my time going to watch a movie. ;)

halamikage

:eek: Geez and I thought that paying $7.50 was bad, $13.50? Dang! At that price, they should give you soda/popcorn/candy with that! At this point in time, I just try and get to the matinees (before 5pm) so that all we pay is $4.50.

I remember when the theaters here used to have $1 nights. Aaaahhh, the good 'ol days.

unclehobart

jebus... 13.5 pounds for a 90 min Jackie Chan schlock-a-thon with all of the wit of a rusting lawnmower? I don't think I would pay the equivalent of 22-25$ US for a movie unless I was in a kick ass chair and noone within 5 years of me. A date with snacky bits would run the equivalent of a months power bill. Screw that. I think I would learn to live 6 months behind the curve through a video shop.

Scanty

:D

I remember it costing as much in Leicester Square. BUT! I went to see The Phantom Menace there - tragic film, but with the sound system they have: at one point i thought the rumble of the space-ships taking off was actually gonna bounce me into the air as well...

Around where i live, the Odeon costs about £5. Still a rip-off, if you ask me but then i'm a cheapskate.

unclehobart

ah.. k... you made it seem as if that high price was typical . *phew* Am I to take it that that is one of those megs doom IMAX type theaters?

Scanty

well...it's the biggest cinema in Europe. (or is it the world? no...don't think so)

It's where all the premiers take place. So...quite expensive for us lowly humans with part-time jobs. :D

Scanty

a2.jpg

wow...that is a crap picture of it. looks better with out the trees and shit.

Scanty

ahahaha.....the caption under that picture on the website says:

"The Odeon Leicester Square, probably the greatest cinema in the world."

lol. Probably. :D