Professur or anyone else that can help

chcr

Too cute for words
I can't think of a reason why either one wouldn't. Surely you've got a type II slot. I'd spend the extra 10 bucks and get the card that does both. It's really hard to type with the help of a cat, you know that?

Kruz

I have the USB 2.0 Type II card in my old Compaq laptop.. works well, just follow the driver instructions that come with it.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
random tangent...

has anyone ever seen 480mbps out of usb 2.0? remotely near? even half speed for that matter? usb specs are so inane.

Professur

I've yet to connect anything with near that capacity. The bus is still limitted by the peripheral.

DJ, a 2.0 device will still work on a 1.0 connection, but with degraded performance. Regardless, the card's a smart tool. I don't know either of those makes, but the brand name cards do the job fine. I'd stick with the single interface, tho. No point in openning yourself to possible conflicts needlessly.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Professur said:
DJ, a 2.0 device will still work on a 1.0 connection, but with degraded performance.
1.1/1.0 with something like a dvd burner? that's gonna be an awful slow burn, if you can even make it through without the burner puking for lack of data, even with underrun protection.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Professur said:
Underruns? Haven't seen them for ages. The software's much better at saving them now.
i hadn't either, then my first burn with my dvd+rw finished but with underrun errors. i was kinda nervous but it hasn't burned a bad disc since. just the drive breaking in maybe?