Question for atheists...

Jeslek

Banned
unclehobart said:
I guess this has gone rather far afield for me to post against the original premise of eating animals.
Nah, please post, I really like to hear because tomorrow I'm going to bug my boss about it (he is an atheist and brought up the issue today lol) :D

Oh and Luis... I don't feel like that at this point ok? Give it a rest dude.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Jerrek said:
seeing as you are an atheist and obviously an expert in Christianity.

Ohhh i know way more about Christianity and Catholocism than 90% of the "believers" ;)

unclehobart

Atheism, moral boundaries, enlightend omnivore proto vegan culture ... pure piffle. I eat animals... certain animals because they were fed to me as a wee waif, ergo I have developed a taste for them. General tradition and socialization play a great deal into how we conduct ourselves as adults. When I think of eating animals, I think of pork, beef, chicken, and fish. Its the cheapest and most common and available down at the market. I don't have a taste for eel and lion and such because I have never had it before. I can't miss what doesn't exist within my little world. Its not down at my local market. If I was fed a vegan diet from birth I would probably be vegan by nature. If I was fed junk as a kid I would probably eat junk every day of my life. I was trained as to a certain level of balance in my diet: meat and veggies.. 90% in moderation. My moral distinctions were infused in youth. My culture said that 'X' animals were pets (dog, cat, and the like) while 'X' animals were delicious (beef, chicken), and another category was set aside as neither(lions, bears, elephants). My little slice of general western culture said that eating other humans isn't cool... and as it just so happens, isn't readily available down at the store for a little curiosity nibble. Im sure if I was raised as a deep jungle Indonesian headhunter tribe that feasted on human flesh, I would probably do so without pausing as to extended moral ramifications as to right or wrong. It would be innate nature, not a dilemma.

Scanty

I made 3 posts that explained the exact same thing in a lot of different ways. Without wanting to sound like I've got a mard on...that really fucks me off.

Jeslek

Banned
Scanty said:
I made 3 posts that explained the exact same thing in a lot of different ways. Without wanting to sound like I've got a mard on...that really fucks me off.
*sigh* Look Scanty, I find it already hard to understand you without your subtle humor. With it, well, there is no hope. I'm having an extremely hard time following your arguments and logic. I'm sorry, I just don't follow your writings well, and I'm being honest with you. Language thing perhaps? I don't know. Sorry.

Scanty

The difference between the treatment of humans and animals - by humans - is a matter of what we've been brought up to learn as acceptable or not acceptable by the society we live in.

It's not rocket science.

Humans have the sort of intelligence that will start to form ideas of it's own, and add on extra social laws and conventions, to the ones that have been present for thousands of years.

Different cultures have different ways and different things that are acceptable. These come from humans having the type of intelligence that makes up it's own rules.

I even used examples of dogs in films and people being brought up to wear clothes to illustrate my points.

unclehobart

It really is the same jist after all. :) Thats what I get for skimming and posting without reading it all at 1am when I should have been in bed sleepiing off the weekend. Our two rationale sets are pretty much hand in glove.

dan

interesting...

So, it becomes clear that the generally accepted answer to your question is "because that's the way it is, man"

But... what if we have more of an intellectual wank, and suppose that none of the current societial ideas exist. If everyone had just sprang into existance from nowhere... what difference does that make?

If there was no preconditioning from society, would it be ethical to eat animals? how about humans?

Is it even worth thinking about?

Scanty

If there was no preconditioning from society and humans had just sprang into existance, there wouldn't be ethics.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Interesting, but I disagree, we would still have established social norms. The norms would have varied a great deal, but I think we would still have them.

Scanty

no, I mean to start off with.

I took nambit's post as meaning - what would be the rules as to eating animals/humans if we were in a state of living where no social/ethical structure arose. (a hypothetical situation, in other words).

If you're talking about what would happen after a group of humans sprang into existance, realistically, then yeah obviously social norms would develop.

unclehobart

Im not sure that humans can exist without some form of social ethical structure considering our upper brain function and reasoning skills. It in the animal nature to socialize, hunt, communicate, congregate, dominate and recreate. The upper brain always gets in the way with thought, conception, rationalization, tinkering and whatnot. The rational mind seeks answers that arent easy and may just simply be unanswerable considering the facts and suppositions at hand. Eating animals is half animal half rational. Eating is eating... eating anything that isnt tied down when hungry is simple base animal instinct. It falls along the same lines as linguistics. Little minds imprint like sponges. You learn to speak what you hear every day. Our forebears who taught us to hunt and gather have shown us what is and isnt safe to eat... how to herd it, sow it, harvest, store, control, brew, barter, stalk. Until less than a century ago our forebears were rather spotty on total caloric intake. You get what you can get when you can get it. Its self protection. The human mind sees animals as food ... the rational mind tells us not to eat the ones we have been conditioned against: other man, dogs, cats and the like... but still.. even then... put a human in the right place with sheer survival on the line, you will see the high brain conditioning go down the loo and find someone gobbling on someones elses leg.

freako104

Jerrek said:
fury said:
Why do we eat meat? Because we can. We have sharp teeth, they're good for 2 things - opening tabless beer cans and chewing meat. :headbang:
You're missing the point... why not human flesh then? ;)

what point are you trying to make here? fury is right about our teeth they were made to eat meat. and as far as human flesh ive heard its supposed to be the sweetest but i doubt it cause we as humans arent as active as animals. we drive. we stay inside a heated home. so on. but to survive one might do anything.

freako104

Jerrek said:
Ardsgaine said:
Jerrek said:
?( Is that post directed at me? If so, I don't follow Judaism...

Eh? The Old Testament isn't part of the Bible anymore? ?(
Those laws were given to the Jews, not the gentiles... ;) If you want more info, PM me... I don't want to argue about religion in this thread. It was never the intent nor am I sure why people brought it up.

did you read your first post? about atheists? thats how it came up.

Altron

:rofl:
That was pretty funny "How should I kill them? Do I have to arouse the whole town to stone them, or just burn them alive"
:rofl:
BTW Jerrek, you need to go outside sometime...