Question for Ku´u or Na´a

HomeLAN

Question for Ku'u or Na'a

Has either of you seen "Lilo and Stitch" yet , or do you know anyone who has?

I'm curious what the take is on Disney's portrayal of Hawaii and its inhabitants.

unclehobart

Na just home rather late last night after a 2 week road trip and Ku'u has been cornered with a newborn. I would seriously doubt that either one would have seen it as of yet... but give it time.

nalani

Alooohaaa ...

Well, I haven't seen "Lilo and Stitch" yet, but I can say that I'm happy that Disney steered away from its original plan to "cartoonize" the young life of one of our Greatests Warriors and Chiefs, Kamehameha. That caused quite an uproar up here because we take our history and the stories of our people really really seriously. Instead, their focus, as I understand it, is on one of our values - the cornerstone of most Native cultures -'ohana or family and the fact that there's no one set definition for family.

Honestly, I can't say that I'd go and watch it for entertainment value - knowing me, I'd probably watch it only to see if they got names, places, and pronunciation correct :D

I'm sure it's a great program, as most Diseny stories seem to be .. just keep in mind that they do take certain "artistic license" when it comes to stories of cultural significance. Let me know how you like it ... :)

ris

no doubt disney will pronounce it perfectly but get the characters wrong, and have them played by comedy voices and stupid elton john and time rice songs ;)

nalani

Here's an update:

My daughter said she went to see the movie whilst I was on my trek across America ... she said the story was good and their puana (pronunciation) was "just like ours", which is a good comment coming from her (she's just as anal as me and ku'u when it comes to Hawaiian language in movies/television). She also said the surfing sequencing was amazingly accurate (I heard they used Kelly Slater as their model for animation though I think they should have used a local boy like Shane Dorian or Sunny Garcia ... but Kelly is the shit most definitely :headbang: )

My son opted not to go to that movie and watched Scooby Doo instead .. he said that was good too :)

nalani

hey HomeLAN - here's an update on the "Lilo and Stitch" thing ... two of mine and ku'us friends, who are speakers of Hawaiian language and practitioners of Hawaiian culture, went to see the movie and they said they liked it .. that they walked away without any offense whatsoever. Jason Scott Lee and Tia Carrere (sp?) provide two of the voices and they're from Hawai'i so their pronunciation and "accents" were true to form. So, there you ... it should be a great movie then :)

We did, however, just get the email on the "casting call" for the movie depicting Kamehameha's life ... it's going to be an actual movie ... this should be interesting ... :D

freako104

thanx for the update nal you rule! oh and also thanx for putting some hawaiian words teaching us the language. ill have to show the parents cause theyre also into that kind of thing. since your kids have said Lilo and Stitch are close to what is actully hawaiian culture ill go see it. rock on and thanx again. you rule :)

HomeLAN

Both my wife and I were curious about this, since we expect to watch a lot of Disney in the near future.

Makes me feel a little better about it.

nalani

Originally posted by freako104
thanx for the update nal you rule! oh and also thanx for putting some hawaiian words teaching us the language. ill have to show the parents cause theyre also into that kind of thing. since your kids have said Lilo and Stitch are close to what is actully hawaiian culture ill go see it. rock on and thanx again. you rule :)

WOOHOO!!! I love ruling and rocking!!! :D

nalani

Originally posted by HomeLAN
Both my wife and I were curious about this, since we expect to watch a lot of Disney in the near future.

Makes me feel a little better about it.

You have to get the classics - Pinnochio, the Little Mermaid (one of my favs cause I love the music), Beauty and the Beast (cause Belle isn't a wuss), the Lion King (cause evil Jeremy Irons in the BOMB), and Mulan (cause she's the coolest - though I don't know how true-to-form it is for the Chinese culture). Get two copies of each ... they'll be worn out before you know it :D

greenfreak

Na, I love The Little Mermaid's music also... I actually downloaded 'Kiss the Girl' but I didn't realize that it had a dance beat to it! It's a remix, and it's SO funny. It fits surprisingly good though.

My favorite song, though, is 'Part of Your World'. :cool:

nalani

oohh .. where did you download that song from, greenie? I love the part where the fish are jumping out of the water as they're singing :D I love "Under the Sea" too .. great rythym (did I spell that word right? I always spell it differently each time I write it).

I bought "The Little Mermaid 2" but it just doesn't have that .. you know, that ... well, it's just not as good as the original ...

Me and ku'u are big Disney Cartoon fans ... the only one we have a problem with is, of course, Pocahontas :D

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by nalani
You have to get the classics

I'm a stay-at-home-dad, so I've become something of a connoisseur with regard to children's movies.

- the Little Mermaid (one of my favs cause I love the music),

Ah, yes, the Little Mermaid. Lovely set of clams. I like the music for this one, too. Wasn't as crazy about the sequel.

Beauty and the Beast (cause Belle isn't a wuss)

I have... feelings for Belle. She moves me unlike any animated female character I've ever known. This is one of my favorites.

the Lion King (cause evil Jeremy Irons in the BOMB)

Wow, I didn't know that Scar is Jeremy Irons. I really like Jeremy, but I was so embarrassed for him when I saw the Dungeons and Dragons movie. But then, I was embarrassed for mankind when I saw that movie.

We have Lion King II, which is pretty good, but I wouldn't get the first one because it has the dad getting killed. (Don't have Bambi either.) Ever notice how Disney heroes seldom have both parents?

and Mulan (cause she's the coolest - though I don't know how true-to-form it is for the Chinese culture).

Loved Mulan, loved the music, coulda really done without Moo-shoo. Eddie's funny, but the modern humor in a movie about ancient China is grating. (I know, it's a problem with a lot of Disney movies, it's for the kids, get a grip... I did.)

Get two copies of each ... they'll be worn out before you know it :D

We have a rule in our house that no movie may be watched more than once per day. It's a good rule. You might want to consider it.

Other recommendations (not all Disney):

You have to have Winnie the Pooh for when they're young. It's pretty sappy, but you can entertain yourself by looking for the homo-erotica.

Sleeping Beauty is very good, even though the heroine isn't all that bright. The artwork is amazing, and you really don't want to miss out on the experience of having your 4 year old daughter intone: "Now, my Prince, you must deal with me... and ALL the POWERS of HELL!"

Fly Away Home -- I liked this one even though I'm not an environmentalist. It's just cool to see the little girl learn how to fly an ultra-light.

The Secret Garden -- Not the Hallmark version, but the 1993 version with Kate Maberly as Mary Lennox. It also has Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter) as Mrs Medlock.

Wallace and Gromet -- Claymation by the guy who did Chicken Run. Get these for yourself, and maybe the kids will like them too.

Rolie Polie Olie -- Daytime Disney, but they have some episodes on video. Very retro, space era robot boy. Fun stuff.

Kipper the Dog -- Stories about an English hound and his friends. Very relaxed, very gentle humor. Only problem was that my daughter developed an English accent from watching them.

Little Bear -- Very imaginative. My favorite episode is the one about kissing tag.

Okay... now everyone knows why I'm able to post so often.

nalani

speaking of "Little Mermaid", did you happen to notice greenie, all the little sexual connatations that some of the animators put in there?

The original cover has the underwater palace in the shape of a penis ... and in the part where the priest is marrying Ursula and Prince Eric on the boat at sunset, for a brief -yet noticeable moment - his penis rises ... that's even on the second run VHS tapes and the DVD ... I don't think they noticed it :D

There are more, but I can't think of them offhand .. yeah, I can remember the Prince's name, the Sea Witch and details of the film but I can't remember the sexual connatations :D

greenfreak

I know what you mean about looking for the 'adult' stuff in those movies... I couldn't help but wonder about Dumbo when he's trippin out--I don't remember why that's in the movie but my niece and nephew were only 3 and 2 years old--the images along with the music scared them.

Na, that whole thing with the cover caused quite a stir, from what I remember. They actually did redesign it and I had the original VHS (got it for my 17th birthday). But someone borrowed it and then in turn lent it to *their* friend who never returned it. I still regret not getting that movie while it was on sale. It's out of production right now, isn't it?

I can email you the MP3 if you can accept largish files at work. Most of my MP3's are high quality so they tend to be bigger than the average file but I'll check and find out how big it is. I'll have to refrain from saying *where* I got it so I don't implicate myself... But I don't know that you would be able to find it either, there was only one that I saw.

Most of the sequels to Disney movies have flopped, haven't they? I don't even bother with them--never saw The Little Mermaid 2 or Lion King II. I think I have to start renting them for Rusty-he's an only child and never experienced Disney movies. :) I made him rent The Sound of Music last weekend-(he never saw that either)-he thought it would be torture but he turned out liking it a bit. :D

nalani

I have... feelings for Belle. She moves me unlike any animated female character I've ever known. This is one of my favorites.

holy cow ... I just liked her cause she didn't take shit :D But it takes a real man to admit having feelings for a cartoon character, that's for sure ... you truly are a connoisseur, Ardsgaine.. I liked all of those movies you mentioned.

greenie - that Dumbo thing tripped me out good too! :D I think a few months ago was the last chance to get the Little Mermaid on DVD or VHS, but you might want to check your local Sams Club or Costco - they rarely send stuff back on the deadline *L*

btw way .. don't tell anyone *whispering in your ear* .. I own the Sound of Music on DVD and VHS ... and I know all the songs .. by heart ... :D

HomeLAN

Originally posted by Ardsgaine I'm a stay-at-home-dad, so I've become something of a connoisseur with regard to children's movies.

Thank God! I so rarely get an informed male perspective on this stuff.

Ah, yes, the Little Mermaid. Lovely set of clams. I like the music for this one, too. Wasn't as crazy about the sequel.

Never too early to teach yer son about clams.

Errr, a little too much info there.

Wow, I didn't know that Scar is Jeremy Irons. I really like Jeremy, but I was so embarrassed for him when I saw the Dungeons and Dragons movie. But then, I was embarrassed for mankind when I saw that movie.

Missed that one. Now I'm glad.

We have Lion King II, which is pretty good, but I wouldn't get the first one because it has the dad getting killed. (Don't have Bambi either.) Ever notice how Disney heroes seldom have both parents?

I've already put those two on the scratch list til he's 5. Same reasoning.

Other recommendations (not all Disney):

You have to have Winnie the Pooh for when they're young. It's pretty sappy, but you can entertain yourself by looking for the homo-erotica.

Sleeping Beauty is very good, even though the heroine isn't all that bright. The artwork is amazing, and you really don't want to miss out on the experience of having your 4 year old daughter intone: "Now, my Prince, you must deal with me... and ALL the POWERS of HELL!"

Fly Away Home -- I liked this one even though I'm not an environmentalist. It's just cool to see the little girl learn how to fly an ultra-light.

The Secret Garden -- Not the Hallmark version, but the 1993 version with Kate Maberly as Mary Lennox. It also has Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter) as Mrs Medlock.

Wallace and Gromet -- Claymation by the guy who did Chicken Run. Get these for yourself, and maybe the kids will like them too.

Rolie Polie Olie -- Daytime Disney, but they have some episodes on video. Very retro, space era robot boy. Fun stuff.

Kipper the Dog -- Stories about an English hound and his friends. Very relaxed, very gentle humor. Only problem was that my daughter developed an English accent from watching them.

Little Bear -- Very imaginative. My favorite episode is the one about kissing tag.

Okay... now everyone knows why I'm able to post so often.

We have episodes of Winnie the pooh and Rollie-pollie Olie on the TIVO, but I may check into some of the others. Thanks for the leads.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
You've got a little boy?

You need Blue's Clues and Bob the Builder without question. :D