Question

Anon_me

Is there a way to check for files that didn't get un-installed when you unintsall a program? I suspect that some part of a program didn't get uninstalled when I uninstalled the program coz I get this error

The SAVRTPEL service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

which I didn't get prior to uninstalling it. Thanks

unclehobart

Whatcha running? 95, 98, 2k, xp? Its left over junk in your start folder.

Start, settings, taskbar and start menu, advanced tab, remove ... find it and ditch it.

unclehobart

Windows XP
Right-click the "Start" button, and then click "Properties".

On the "Start Menu" tab, click "Classic Start menu", and then click "Customize". This changes the style of the Start menu.

Click "Remove".

Open the "Programs" folder and then open the "Startup" folder.

Highlight the items in the "Startup" folder that you want to remove and click the "Remove" button.

Click the "Close" button.

Click the "OK" button twice.

greenfreak

When you uninstalled the program, did it prompt you to say yes or no on whether you wanted to remove shared files? If so and you said yes, it might have been a needed file for another program still on your system.

You could try installing the program again, and then going through the uninstall process again, saying no to removing shared files again. If you know what program caused the problem that is....

The only thing is, it's looking for a service, not a file. I did a search on google and the ms knowledge base but didn't come up with anything. :confuse3:

You come up with the best questions, btw. :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
control panel, managment tools, services

disable the service from there

Anon_me

It was Norton, I think. Only problem is I can't reinstall because whenever I try I get

Norton AntiVirus 2003 -- Error 1335. The cabinet file 'Cabs.m6' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package