R.I.P. my 9800 pro

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
This morning i woke up to a strange sound in my room. I looked over to see my main rig off. So i turned it back on only to see a blank screen. So i take the side off and turn it back on to see if there is any weis=rd noises coming from it. none. then i glance down to the bottom of the case only to see the melted fan from my vid card. I somehow managed to toast it. dont know how i got enough airflow to blow dry my hair with it.
I put a different fan on it thinking it may yet be saved but no luck. So im back to my fanless 8500le this should be interesting. :(

HomeLAN

AIIIIGH!

We've all been where you are. I lost a Ti4200 (128 meg) about a month out of warranty when the fan took a shit. That reminds me - I need ot see if I can resurrect that with a new fan.

One good thing, prices aren't too extremely bad on vid cards right at the moment.

samcurry

Staff member
this is true, but its an xp2800 system and im not sure i want to put that expensive of a card in it now. or just wait it out and beef up the 64bit system.

samcurry

Staff member
was an ATI, i have the saphire 9600 running on a diff comp. I love it too. put an iceberg4 on it runs very cool.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Buy nVidia....I've been less than thrilled with my 9800 Pro. ATI is overrated.

HeXp£Øi±

Gonz said:
Buy nVidia....I've been less than thrilled with my 9800 Pro. ATI is overrated.

Mmmm...the Geforce cards are better quality right now but the Ati prices are just unbeatable at this point in time. Geforce 6800Gt's are going for $275 and the X800Pros for $185. That's an unbelieveable price to performance ratio(the X800pro). I went with the
Leadtek Winfast A400 GT TDH (6800GT) (after goiing through three consecutive ati cards) and i'm as happy as can be. This monster knocks my socks off. Digital vibrance controls make my Viewsonic P815-4 feel new again.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
an x800pro for $185? oooh, i wish i could spare the money, it's one of the few cards i know will work in my dell with the hacked pci express.