+R or -R

JJR512

Suppose I have a multi-format (8x DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) drive. Does it make any difference if I use +R or -R media? Is either format more popular or more compatible with set-top DVD players, or more likely to be read in a computer's standard DVD-ROM drive?

catocom

what gonz said, but Brand makes a Big difference.
I only use verbatim ATM. (tried memorex, ridata, office depot, imation) not as good

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've had decent luck with lesser brands...except with DVDs. Verbatim are great. Many store brands are rebranded good ones. Gotta check the numbers on them...
This site is especially helpful.

Inkara1

I have a stack of fujifilm +R. Unfortunately, I haven't burned any movies on them so I don't know how well they work in set-top DVD players. But I heard somewhere that +R works better in set-top players so that's what I went with since my burner does both.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Have always used +R myself, basically heard they were better when I started burning DVDs, haven't had a real problem with them, and haven't wanted to risk having problems. Haven't even tried anything other that DL, they seemed to work fine too, but have only burned a total of maybe 10 DL.

chcr

Too cute for words
My stand alone DVD recorder uses -R and os far I haven't had any problems playing them in any other DVD player. I've burned some +R videos from my computer and they've always worked fine too. :shrug:

Unlike PT, I've never done a dual layer. Anyone done a Light Scribe label? I can, but I don't have any of the discs yet.

catocom

I've only done 3 DLs, verbatim, no problems with nero.
I got a spool of 25, but only want to backup my best movies with um.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
From the infamous wikipedia:
However, because the DVD-R format has been in use since 1997, it has had a five-year lead on DVD+R. As such, older or cheaper DVD players (up to 2004 vintage) are more likely to favour the DVD-R standard exclusively, and when creating DVDs for distribution (where the playing unit is unknown or older) the DVD-R format would normally be preferable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R

JJR512

So basically several people here are saying that +R works better and/or is more compatible, while the Wikipedia article says that -R should be more compatible with older players.

I think that with newer set-top DVD players, it shouldn't be an issue, from what I understand?

But I thought that even "multi-format" drives, although claiming to work with either format, usually preferred one format over the other, that they might be slightly faster or have a slightly less chance of screwing up. Has anyone heard anything like that?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I know DVD-R is supported by the DVD-Forum, so the spec should be the most compatible with the DVD standard. For that reason I buy DVD-R media, but nowdays I think it really doesn't matter.

As for screwing up I think it is far more likely to have defective media or faulty drive than a screw up because of the slight differences between -R and +R.

catocom

I've mostly used samsung, and now several different lite-on models,
and they like the verbatum +R, no problem.
I have had trouble with old 1x or 2x -DVDRWs I have in the newer drives.

You might want to buy within about the same mfg timeframes...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So basically several people here are saying that +R works better and/or is more compatible, while the Wikipedia article says that -R should be more compatible with older players.

I can go to wiki & change that, if you want.