Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No tree

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

greenfreak

catocom said:
GF, you might want to move back a little from that tree in your AV. :D
It might decide to smack you. :lol2:
I was already injured by a Christmas tree long ago; a dry branch broke off in my eye in a freak dodgeball accident. That was the year that my parents stopped planting the Christmas trees in the backyard. :D

I don't have a problem with trees that are specifically grown to be cut for Christmas. There are Christmas tree farms on the island I live on and that's where the FD gets them from, and that's who we buy them from. Not only are we helping local economy, we're helping the volunteer Fire Department at the same time.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
greenfreak said:
I was already injured by a Christmas tree long ago; a dry branch broke off in my eye in a freak dodgeball accident. That was the year that my parents stopped planting the Christmas trees in the backyard. :D

I don't have a problem with trees that are specifically grown to be cut for Christmas. There are Christmas tree farms on the island I live on and that's where the FD gets them from, and that's who we buy them from. Not only are we helping local economy, we're helping the volunteer Fire Department at the same time.

Sure it's not just revenge upon the tree that injured you by slaughtering it's progeny? :mope: Killers...murderers...assassins...:crying4:

Dave

been using a fake tree for years. mostly because of space issues. got a small spruce tree for a housewarming gift. probably use that this year, then plant it in the spring.

Inkara1

So does YO MOMMA!

snap.gif

HomeLAN

Fake trees are an abomination. Real only.

Of course there are hazards, but you can mitigate those if you're smart about it. Cut the base of the tree immediately before putting it into water. It takes less than an hour for the base to cover itself with a sap layer. At that point, it won't draw water, it'll dry out, and you have 7 feet of kindling in the living room.

KEEP THE BASE IMMERSED IN WATER. If you let it dry out, you have an instant fire hazard. Water only, BTW, no additives (sugar, pennies) will extend the time for a real tree to remain green.

Don't leave the damn thing up for 2 months. Anything beyond 3 weeks, even with proper care, is pushing it.

catocom

Yeah real trees are safe...IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE KID TO WATCH :D (or none)
I'll probably go back to real when these kids get older.

HomeLAN

Luis G said:
I don't know and I don't care what type of tree my sisters are going to put :D

yeah, yeah, I'm the youngest don't know what.....(HomeLAN might remember).

Curmudgeon. And you still are.

greenfreak

HomeLAN said:
. Cut the base of the tree immediately before putting it into water.
That's great advice. It's true of cut flowers also. You should make a fresh cut (on an angle) before they go in fresh water in a vase.

woodman19_99

I am forced to get a fake one this year, simply cause I have no decarations in my new apt. But at home home, we have always had a real tree. My mom threatens to get a fake one since she does the decorating, but we all secretly know she loves doing it...:)

Panoramic World

Wheres the option for both?

At home We have 2 real ones, one thats usually between 6 to 7 feet, and another one to fit out catherdal ceiling, usually around 20 feet.

At work we put up 2 to 3 fakes ones that are decent sized, and everyone usually puts up thier own in thier cubicle or desk.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
woodman19_99 said:
My mom threatens to get a fake one since she does the decorating, but we all secretly know she loves doing it...:)

No denying it, fake trees are ALOT easier to decorate...but I still love the real tree too :D

BlurOfSerenity

the only time my family has used a real tree was last year when we didn't feel like fucking with dragging the fake one out of the attic, so we threw a string of lights and some ornaments on our rubber tree
indiarubbertree.jpg

that kind, to avoid confusion, apparantly there are different types.

it was the best christmas tree ever.
but this year they sprung for some pre-lit thing from qvc.

kuulani

Gato_Solo said:
Sure it's not just revenge upon the tree that injured you by slaughtering it's progeny? :mope: Killers...murderers...assassins...:crying4:

my husband was the assassin this year ... i just drove the getaway car
:evilcool: