recipe lingo ..

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
so what is "table cream"? Is that like cream you put in tea and stuff? This is weirdly interesting to me :D No wonder the Maoris asked "what's this?" when we were hosting them a long time ago and we had evaporated milk out on the table for their teas and cocoa .. and had a strange look when we said, "cream" :D

Table cream is also 15-18% so it would be also called lighte cream...

the world needs to be standerdized.

BeardofPants

so what is "table cream"? Is that like cream you put in tea and stuff? This is weirdly interesting to me :D No wonder the Maoris asked "what's this?" when we were hosting them a long time ago and we had evaporated milk out on the table for their teas and cocoa .. and had a strange look when we said, "cream" :D

Yeah, we (kiwis) only tend to use evaporated milk for salads (ie add malt vinegar... et voila, salad dressing).

nalani

But they aren't weirdasses like you hawaiians. They call it evaporated milk.

;)

BWUAHAHAHAHA!!! Most of us still use Nestle Cocoa Mix, hot water and cream (evaporated milk) for our cocoa, especially if we're making it to smash saloon pilot crackers in it and eat it like hot cereal. Swiss Miss and other instant cocoas are just for drinking. *nod*

tonksy

WTF is a saloon pilot cracker?

Reminds me of the cajun quirk of mashed cornbread in cold milk. I am.....so not a fan.

BeardofPants

We can buy this awesome cocoa from South Auckland in bulk. I have no idea what brand it is, but it's the one traditionally drunk by the pacifika people, and it's got solids in it (ie dregs). VERY tasty. :)

Nestle cocoa is shite, no offence. ;)

nalani

We can buy this awesome cocoa from South Auckland in bulk. I have no idea what brand it is, but it's the one traditionally drunk by the pacifika people, and it's got solids in it (ie dregs). VERY tasty. :)

Nestle cocoa is shite, no offence. ;)

No offense taken .. it's all we have LOL.

I had that cocoa you're talking about when I was there .. brought back a little bit of it too .. BOO on it not being available here!!!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
It seems that maybe evaporated milk is a big thing for people who live on islands? It's huge in NFLD too...my grandparents use "canned milk" (evaporated) in their tea and coffee, hot cereal (oatmeal, cornmeal, cream of wheat), cooking, etc. My dad liked fresh in his coffee but canned milk in the rest. My mom drinks her coffee black but prefers canned milk in the rest. She got me into the habit of always keeping a couple cans in my cupboard because I don't drink a lot of fresh milk so don't always have it on hand when I want to make a recipe involving milk. Mixing evap milk and water half and half works great in recipes (even if it tastes nasty on its own).

That said, my guess for "cream" would be table cream.

nalani

It seems that maybe evaporated milk is a big thing for people who live on islands? It's huge in NFLD too...my grandparents use "canned milk" (evaporated) in their tea and coffee, hot cereal (oatmeal, cornmeal, cream of wheat), cooking, etc. My dad liked fresh in his coffee but canned milk in the rest. My mom drinks her coffee black but prefers canned milk in the rest. She got me into the habit of always keeping a couple cans in my cupboard because I don't drink a lot of fresh milk so don't always have it on hand when I want to make a recipe involving milk. Mixing evap milk and water half and half works great in recipes (even if it tastes nasty on its own).

That said, my guess for "cream" would be table cream.

That's exactly how it's used here .. see? I *knew* we were related!!!

tonks - when we were little, we used to put sweetened condensed milk on freshly steamed kalo (taro) ... mmm.. so yummy ... and we even put it on toast too ... I can't believe we used to be able to stomach something so sweet LOL

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
It's the same as evaporated milk, 'cept a bit sweeter (w/ the added sugar).

I knew that part. I was just wondering what we would call it in all these mismatched terms we've been bandying about...Cream, light cream, sweet cream, heavy cream, sour cream...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
So are there actually 26oz cans of "stuff" down there?

Our cans of say, spaghetti sauce, are 680mL which Google tells me is about 23 ounces. Most recipes seem to call for 26oz. This is WAY too much math.